Skip to main content
Topic: Dutchmen furnace/ac unit won't start (Read 547 times) previous topic - next topic

Dutchmen furnace/ac unit won't start

Yahoo Message Number: 3502

My 2007 Dutchmen model 33K has a Coleman Mack thermostat that controls both the furnace and the front a/c unit. While the rear a/c fan will start, the front fan/furnace/air conditioner will not... any ideas? I checked the fuses/breakers and they look ok.

Denny

Re: Dutchmen furnace/ac unit won't start

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 3507
Denny, last April when we took our MH to Jayco for the rear end whine, it was damn cool at night. We didn't have a lot of power available and tried to help the ceramic heaters by warming the MH up with the furnace. It would not turn on - but the rear would turn the fan on. It was nice that we were right at Jayco. They checked the furnace out thoroughly, including all the gas lines.

They checked the power to it and everything else they could think of. Then they called in the thermostat people from Elkhart and low and behold - it was shot and they had to replace it.

Sounds to me like you have the same problem.

Don

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 3554

Well, thanks, Don, for your advice.... when I removed the fuse from the thermostat, the fuse holder fell apart, so I replaced the thermostat. Didn't like the old one anyway since it was too easy to accidentally leave the heat on. Replacing the thermostat did NOT fix the problem, so I decided to check the connections going into the fuse block since there was no power to the heater nor the 120 volt A/C fan motor, which I knew was controlled by a 12 volt line from the thermostat.

I had the fan switch in the on position, and had the genset running when I checked the 12 volt wiring attached to the back of the fuse block. I squiggled the wires, and sure enough, one squiggle caused the motor to start. I found the "squiggled" wire (a red one), well, actually two red wires going into one fuse station, pulled the loose wires, tossed the old female slip on, and replaced it with two slip ons... everything works fine now.

Denny

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 3555

Looks like another satisfied customer!