Skip to main content
Topic: Disconnecting battery (Read 741 times) previous topic - next topic

Disconnecting battery

Yahoo Message Number: 3643
When we store our MH in the summer when not in use and in the winter when it is parked here in Florida and connected to shore power, I disconnect the chassis battery.

I was just looking at a thread on RV.net that addressed a battery problem and the poster wanted to know if he could disconnect his chassis battery without causing problems.

Many respondents said no problem but remember to disconnect the negative lead first.

OK, now my question. Under the Kodiak hood is a battery post that the manual says to use to disconnect the battery (or at least I recall it saying that). BUT, the cable is RED and it is a positive post. That is where I've been disconnecting the battery.

SO, is that a problem and if it is why is the post there?

Anyone know the answer(s)?

Tx

Don

ps. We parked the MH on our lot in FLA in early October, disconnected the battery under the hood, and returned 3 months later in January. First thing I did was connect the positive lead and use my multimeter and check the voltage - 11.8 - and it started promptly.

Re: Disconnecting battery

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 3644
I was under the impression that the 'RED' box under the hood is where you connect your jumper cables when you want to start you engine if the battery goes dead....russ

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wed, February 3, 2010 8:04:15 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Disconnecting battery

When we store our MH in the summer when not in use and in the winter when it is parked here in Florida and connected to shore power, I disconnect the chassis battery.

I was just looking at a thread on RV.net that addressed a battery problem and the poster wanted to know if he could disconnect his chassis battery without causing problems.

Many respondents said no problem but remember to disconnect the negative lead first.

OK, now my question. Under the Kodiak hood is a battery post that the manual says to use to disconnect the battery (or at least I recall it saying that). BUT, the cable is RED and it is a positive post. That is where I've been disconnecting the battery.

Tx

Don

ps. We parked the MH on our lot in FLA in early October, disconnected the battery under the hood, and returned 3 months later in January. First thing I did was connect the positive lead and use my multimeter and check the voltage - 11.8 - and it started promptly.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 3645
Yes, I think that was it. Thanks. The question now is I've been using it to disconnect since the location under the steps is a PITA to get to. So far no problems but...........

What damage might be caused.

Don

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 3646
BTW, when I disconnect the positive under the hood I make sure it doesn't touch anything and I insert it into a plastic sandwich bag which I think close up to the cable.

I assume the risk is touching it to something that is grounded?

Don

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 3647
Unless you remove negative battery lead from the battery. It is kind of difficult to disconnect the ground wire. It is routed to too many places from frame.
When removing the + cable from inside red box under hood. The upper cable (mine has 2) should be removed. That way the removed cable/s will not have power on it/them.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 3648
When my MH is parked at a campground or home I have a trickle charger hooked up to one of the power plugs. Keeps the batteries charged at all times.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 3649
Disconnect the negative first comes from common car engineering practices. First recall the starter battery is designed to develop a lot of Amps quickly. Second recall a lot of cars used to have metal frames and a lot of wire could be saved by have the ground be the frame. Therefore any accidental connection with the frame could be a high amp short. (Read sparks, heat).

So disconnect the negative first was a quick way to reduce accidents.
K (Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; Toad Jeep Wrangle Unlimited 2007)
P.S. We keep a light charge going.

center
From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don Leslie
Sent: Wednesday, February 03, 2010 10:04 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Disconnecting battery

Tx

Don

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 3650
Prior to moving in Aug 08 we had a concrete pad and 50 amp on our 2 acre lot. Now, we have to store it at a secure storage facility and that means no power.

When in FLA I was using a BatteryMinder but one of the leads has rusted badly and it won't allow a proper charge. The other problem is the poor power outlet design Jayco did. On our unit there is 120V in a basement compartment but no opening. When I pointed this out they put small door in the roadside back compartment that has the cable, phone, etc outlets and a 120V. A PITA to run power to the front for the BatteryMinder. What I do when we are here is check the voltage ever month and if it has dropped off I put an Intelligent Charger and get it back to 12.7 and that does it for at least a month and often 2.

If I don't disconnect the battery it will run down fairly quickly as there seem to be a lot of parasitic drains.

I'm not sure about continuing my practice of disconnecting under the hood. I've made darn sure I haven't touched anything with that lead BUT there is always a first time. Will have to take a look underneath the step again and determine which of these will work best.

http://www.wirthco.com/pdf/Battery Switches.pdf

http://www.wirthco.com/pdf/Battery%20Switches.pdfAnyone using one of these?

Don

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 3651
Yesss. I use 20168 as a disconnect on my Toad to keep the miles from running up when towing. Per the previous discussion it is on the NEGATIVE terminal. Kevin (Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; Toad Jeep Wrangle Unlimited 2007)

center
From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Don Leslie
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 10:19 AM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Disconnecting battery

Prior to moving in Aug 08 we had a concrete pad and 50 amp on our 2 acre lot. Now, we have to store it at a secure storage facility and that means no power.

When in FLA I was using a BatteryMinder but one of the leads has rusted badly and it won't allow a proper charge. The other problem is the poor power outlet design Jayco did. On our unit there is 120V in a basement compartment but no opening. When I pointed this out they put small door in the roadside back compartment that has the cable, phone, etc outlets and a 120V. A PITA to run power to the front for the BatteryMinder. What I do when we are here is check the voltage ever month and if it has dropped off I put an Intelligent Charger and get it back to 12.7 and that does it for at least a month and often 2.

If I don't disconnect the battery it will run down fairly quickly as there seem to be a lot of parasitic drains.&nb sp;

I'm not sure about continuing my practice of disconnecting under the hood. I've made darn sure I haven't touched anything with that lead BUT there is always a first time. Will have to take a look underneath the step again and determine which of these will work best.

http://www.wirthco. com/pdf/Battery Switches.pdf

Don

On 2010-02-04, at 9:28 AM, Kevin (Real) McCoy wrote:

Disconnect the negative first comes from common car engineering practices. First recall the starter battery is designed to develop a lot of Amps quickly. Second recall a lot of cars used to have metal frames and a lot of wire could be saved by have the ground be the frame. Therefore any accidental connection with the frame could be a high amp short. (Read sparks, heat).

center
From: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com [mailto:KodiakChass isClassC@ yahoogroups. com] On Behalf Of Don Leslie
To: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClass C] Disconnecting battery

Tx

Don

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 3684
A tad embarrassing this one. I have loved the disconnect switch referenced below. However I did have some problem with it this weekend. We were at the Sweetheart Rally in Kerrville Texas , and about to start for a show when the Toad would not start. Some assistance from AAA - and A Jump from one side of the switch did not work, but a jump to the other side of the switch worked. So the switch may have become fouled with road dirt or possibly with corrosion preventative that I use while cleaning up after La Push WA.
Cleaning did not cure my issues, so I have moved temporarily to a marine battery post with a wing nut until I can get an improved switch - perhaps enclosed so it is not subject to the environment.
Kevin ("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangle Unlimited 2007)

center
From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Kevin (Real) McCoy
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 11:31 AM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Disconnecting battery

Yesss. I use 20168 as a disconnect on my Toad to keep the miles from running up when towing. Per the previous discussion it is on the NEGATIVE terminal.

center
From: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com [mailto: KodiakChass isClassC@ yahoogroups. com ] On Behalf Of Don Leslie
Sent: Thursday, February 04, 2010 10:19 AM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClass C] Disconnecting battery

If I don't disconnect the battery it will run down fairly quickly as there seem to be a lot of parasitic drains.&nb sp;

http://www.wirthco. com/pdf/Battery Switches.pdf

Don

On 2010-02-04, at 9:28 AM, Kevin (Real) McCoy wrote:

center
From: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com [mailto: KodiakChass isClassC@ yahoogroups. com ] On Behalf Of Don Leslie
Subject: [KodiakChassisClass C] Disconnecting battery

Tx

Don