Skip to main content
Topic: Girard Water Heaters (Read 837 times) previous topic - next topic

Girard Water Heaters

Yahoo Message Number: 14655
My tankless water heater never works consistently. Sometimes it gets hot right away, sometimes need to run for several minutes. At other times it gets very hot and seconds later is back to cold. Does this on dockside and tank water. Have used water restrictors and direct to no avail. Changed temp dial one end to other when no hot water available with no change. Dealer says it works OK. Any suggestions?

Re: Girard Water Heaters

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 14656
I suggest u go back to that dealer and choke him until he replaces it

Larry Payne  ⛳

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 14657
Tankless water heaters can be a problem. There is a certain amount of flow required to turn it on. This flow must be maintained for heater to stay on. Problems arise when cutting back on flow to mix with cold water often does not have enough flow to keep water heater heating.
This is one of the reasons I have not switched out my little 6 gallon water heater.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 14658
Some have said only use the hot side and set the temp with the control knob. Don't mix any additional cold.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 14659
I have been a plumbing and HVAC contractor for over 30 years and installed hundreds of gas tankless water heater with no problems, so when I bought my new Seneca it came with the tankless heater and I thought this is gonna be great, WRONG! nothing but the same problems you guys are talking about. I complained to Jayco and my dealer and they replaced it without any hassels. My dealer said they were having a lot of problems with them. So I'm back to a 6 gallon tank heater.

On Friday, July 10, 2015 9:21 AM, "donzielke@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 14660
Did Jayco or the dealer give you any option to upgrade to a 10 gallon unit? Did they install a DSI/Electric model, or just a propane unit? Did they paint the new cover to match your rig?

Sorry to bombard you with questions, but I too have a Seneca (2014) and have experienced the same troubles many have complained about. Several trips to local dealer have been unable to isolate any single cause. Girard and Jayco recommend you "just let the hot water run", but I camp in many parks where there are no water or sewer hookups. So being frugal with my water means very unpredictable showers.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 14661
I also have 2014 Seneca and they installed the DSI/electric model. Yes they painted the door to match. I had to call Jayco a couple of times and raise a little hell but they took care of it under warranty.
I tried everything possible on the tankless heater to get it to work. being factory trained to work on three different brands of tankless water heaters I can say the Girard is a bad design, the engineers need to do a lot more homework before they put this product out in the field.

On Friday, July 10, 2015 11:36 AM, "robbbyr@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 14662
Thanks for the info!

On Friday, July 10, 2015 1:56 PM, "richard knight mrplumr1@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 14663
For years I've been of the view that the manufacturers should actually take these MH's out and use them for a few weeks so they can see the challenges they deliver to buyers.

Don

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 14664

Maybe if you only camped fully hooked up, but I would install one of these for regular camping.

~

Victor Burns
KI6IM
Embark TB390 Bunkhouse

Date:Fri, Jul 10, 2015 at 10:21 AM
Subject:[SuperCrvgroup] Girard Water Heaters

My tankless water heater never works consistently. Sometimes it gets hot right away, sometimes need to run for several minutes. At other times it gets very hot and seconds later is back to cold. Does this on dockside and tank water. Have used water restrictors and direct to no avail. Changed temp dial one end to other when no hot water available with no change. Dealer says it works OK. Any suggestions?