Skip to main content
Topic: Kodiak silencing blocks info? (Read 468 times) previous topic - next topic

Kodiak silencing blocks info?

Yahoo Message Number: 8829
I found the Installation Manual for the silencing blocks but want to find more info and discussion about them.
I have seen some mention of them being used in other threads not directly related to the product.
Could someone point out where the thread may be please?

Re: Kodiak silencing blocks info?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 8836
I drove the MH around today with the newly installed blocks in place. Darned if they didn't silence the noisy popping sound. I guess with that in mind, they were worth the $130.00 purchase price and the fiddling with the cheap bolts. On our recent camping trip, I would've spent twice that to quiet the vehicle (and the passengers), so there's my $.02 worth. On to the next mod!

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:34 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Kodiak silencing blocks info?

I found the Installation Manual for the silencing blocks but want to find more info and discussion about them.
I have seen some mention of them being used in other threads not directly related to the product.
Could someone point out where the thread may be please?

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 8839
How was it you came to buy them?
I want to research them a bit before plunking down the cash.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 8840
What other threads have you read and how were they being used? I installed them and they work as advertised for the front curl clunking.
Denny

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 8841
It was in passing on a thread about clicking in the front end
that was apparently made by the wheel cover.
However my curiosity has been peeked and want to know more before buying. Has anyone raised a concern of additional stress to the main leaf with the block in place?
I just have not found an initial thread that is a discussion on this item.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 8843
The lower spring fwd end is freely curled around the upper spring curl that is attached in a bushing. Some spring packs have more clearance than others in the curls thus the clunking. Mine is one of those. I installed the blocks and now the curls are tighter and no noise. I don't see how the blocks could add any stress to the pack. The blocks are maybe a 1/4 of an inch wider than the existing gap between the leaves. They remedied clunking but there is what I call slapping from the lower aft end of the lower spring that is allowed to glide on a nylon or dalron bearing plate that is captured by the aft end curl of upper spring. My pass side doesn't do that. There must be some QC issues in manufacturing in my opinion. I am satisfied with the results.
Denny

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 8845
I installed my blocks last weekend. I was lucky and had a two and one-half pound sledge and a large wood splitting wedge handy. With the truck lifted on its leveling system the wedge easily opened the space between springs. I used a 3/8 drive ratchet with a 3/8 socket to turn in the screws. The block was easily tapped between the springs and the screws and plate installed on the other side. If I hadn't had a beer in between I think I could have been done in five minutes after all the tools were rounded up. While I haven't driven far, as indicated by others, the blocks seem to have done the job.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 8846
I ordered my blocks this morning. looking forward to a pop free or greatly reduced ride!
TJ

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, April 12, 2012 6:36:22 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Kodiak silencing blocks info?

I installed my blocks last weekend. I was lucky and had a two and one-half pound sledge and a large wood splitting wedge handy. With the truck lifted on its leveling system the wedge easily opened the space between springs. I used a 3/8 drive ratchet with a 3/8 socket to turn in the screws. The block was easily tapped between the springs and the screws and plate installed on the other side. If I hadn't had a beer in between I think I could have been done in five minutes after all the tools were rounded up. While I haven't driven far, as indicated by others, the blocks seem to have done the job.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 8847
OK I am convinced.. ordered a set.
I like the idea of the wood splitter wedge and sledge
for the install.
Thanks everyone.
Kev