Skip to main content
Topic: Additional fuel tanks (Read 632 times) previous topic - next topic

Additional fuel tanks

Yahoo Message Number: 11339
Has anyone added additional fuel tanks under the driver and passenger doors or ever seen a Kodiak that had the added fuel tanks?

I saw a Kodiak a few days ago that looked like it had a small aluminum tank like you see under a refrig trailer on the drivers side but by the time I got turned around to see if that was so and if there was one on the passenger side, the traffic got terrible and I lost the Kodiak.

Thanks,
Don

Re: Additional fuel tanks

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 11340
Was it a Kodiak based RV or commercial truck. The larger Kodiaks were available with other engines (CAT C7 in particular) and came with air brakes as well.

I often wished they'd put out a MH on a 6500 series Kodiak but the reason I got was that no one would pay the additional $10k+. I think some of us would have paid the 10k.

Don

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 11341
I would have too! Get a real engine...you bet! Air brakes..you bet...more GVWR / GCWR you bet! $10k would have been cheap.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Friday, June 28, 2013 10:17 AM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Additional fuel tanks

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 11347
It was an RV maybe a 5500.

Looked like the fuel tank was like the 30 gallon on refer trailers.

I have seen roll back Kodiak trucks with dual saddle tanks under each door with the step built into them but this was the first Kodiak RV I can remember with a tank under the door.

Thanks

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 11348
Well, my bald ass guess would be it is a DEF tank. Make sense to anyone?

Don

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 11351
Didn't get to fully inspect the tank but it didn't look like a DEF tank but more like an aluminum reefer trailer fuel tank.

I have never seen a Kodiak RV with a DEF tank. Did some models have them installed?

In fact, I don't beleive I have ever seen a commericial Kodiak with a DEF tank. Even the latest models that were built and are used for roll back trucks don't have the DEF tank or at least the ones I have seen.

Sure wish I could have caught it and looked closer.

Thanks

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 11352
I think it was 2010 that the Duramax added the DEF tank. I wonder if it is a case of a Kodiak that has had the engine replaced. That would probably mean need for a DEF tank. Otherwise, it is still a mystery and unless you see it again and talk to the ownre, we'll never know.

But, if the owner is on this forum (over 500 members now) maybe he can own up and let us know what the tank is used for.

Don