Skip to main content
Topic: Electrical Heat In Seneca (Read 982 times) previous topic - next topic

Electrical Heat In Seneca

Yahoo Message Number: 10896
Hello all. It has been a while since I checked in. I hope everyone is doing well.

We just got back from a trip to Mesa Verde where it was cold. I tried the electrical thermostat because we had shore power. While the thermostat would click and had wires running to it, no heat came on. I looked for baseboard type electric heaters and found none. Does anyone know where the electrical heat is located? I am wondering if mine was left off at the factory. Or is the electrical heat supposed to run through the furnace? I am totally lost on this one. Any help would be appreciated.

Sherm

Re: Electrical Heat In Seneca

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10897
You don't have "Electric" heat.  The front theamostat in the heat position turns on the gas heater. Does the furnace run when you turn it on? By that do you hear the motor come on? There is a time delay to get air circulating through the burner section before the gas is allowed on. The furnace is 12 volt so if it is not coming on when selected, check for a blown fuse or why the fuse is blown if so.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10898
The only electric heat that I'm aware of is provided when a heat pump is installed at the factory instead of just an AC.

DON

Mini

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 10899
Some roof a/c units were equipped with an electric heat strip as an
auxiliary heat source, but I don't know if Jayco did any of those or not.

Greg

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 10901
Jayco did not add the heat strips, nor did they provide the wire in case you wanted to add it. The rear thermo has the heat option, but comes with a sticker over it. If the front thermo has gas and elec heat it was probably changed out. I added both a heat strip to the rear a/c and swaped the front a/c out for the heat pump. Had to run an additinal wire for both as well as changing the front thermo.

Adding the extra wire to 35GS was fairly easy, not sure how others would be since I don't know the thermo locations.

Dave

shermanyoung34  wrote:

Hello all. It has been a while since I checked in. I hope everyone is doing well.

We just got back from a trip to Mesa Verde where it was cold. I tried the electrical thermostat because we had shore power. While the thermostat would click and had wires running to it, no heat came on. I looked for baseboard type electric heaters and found none. Does anyone know where the electrical heat is located? I am wondering if mine was left off at the factory. Or is the electrical heat supposed to run through the furnace? I am totally lost on this one. Any help would be appreciated.

Sherm

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 10902
I think that aux strip heater is because IF the heat pump fails OR its too cold, it will never make heat: its a back-up for the heat pump and/or a booster [I THINK? - that is the way it is also in a house installation]

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Monday, April 1, 2013 5:44 AM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Electrical Heat In Seneca

Greg

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 10904
The heat pump unit does have a heat strip as a backup (factory installed) below 38 deg, but you can also add the heat strip to the standard a/c. In the case of the Coleman on a Jayco you also have to change the control box in the a/c unit and for the front unit the thermostat as well.

Dave

Victor Burns  wrote:

I think that aux strip heater is because IF the heat pump fails OR its too cold, it will never make heat: its a back-up for the heat pump and/or a booster [I THINK? - that is the way it is also in a house installation]

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

Sent: Monday, April 1, 2013 5:44 AM

Greg

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 10906
Nope, they didn't but some added. I think Grumpy added the heat strips? ? ? ? ?? Dave, how about letting us know.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 10907
How would one know if there is electric heat integrated in the roof top AC unit?
In Mesa we tried to get propane filled by delivery. Apparently the city does not allow it, yet you can do so in Apache Junction just a couple miles away. When it was cold here in jan and feb we had a hard time keeping warm with electric heaters.
Seneca 2006.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 10908
What is the heat strip for in the AC unit. Is it to use it as a heater like a home heat pump?

Ian Eisenberg

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 10909
You may want to check your build up sheet, it would say in there if not available send a note to Jayco with serial number and they can tell you.
Tks

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 10910

The AC unit in my race trailer has the optional "heater" in it.

The problem with these type of units is that they are only rated at 1500W. They draw 12.5
amps but only have the thermal output of your typical hair blow dryer.

They are good for those nippy spring and fall mornings, but nowhere close to the heat needed during winter conditions.

Just my observation...

Steven Kerns

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 10911
I have a couple of these space heaters in my rig and have been very happy. More expensive than Wal Mart ones but built 10x better. they also have a thermostat feature which is nice. I put one in the basement in the winter to keep things from freezing during storage. http://www.caframo.com/hearth/hearth_products_acspaceheaters_truenorth9206CABBX.php

Ian Eisenberg

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 10912
I looked into adding the heat strips to my jayco and called Coleman and talked to them about it. They advised that it would be a waste of money and if the temp was below about 70 degrees it would be useless.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Steven Kerns
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2013 1:11 PM

The problem with these type of units is that they are only rated at 1500W. They draw 12.5

They are good for those nippy spring and fall mornings, but nowhere close to the heat needed during winter conditions.

Just my observation...

Steven Kerns

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 10914
The heat strips have worked fine for us. One thing they help circulate the heat even if you use space heaters.

We were very comfy in Denver 2 yrs ago, 2 heat strips, 2 space heaters and it hit 17. Never used the furnace. If they are "useless" why does Coleman put them in their heatpumps for when the temp goes below 38? Heat pump shuts off, heat strip comes on.

A heatpump is the best scenario for most situations, but not everyone wants to spend the extra $1000 to switch out their a/c unit.

Dave

Ronnie Hartzog  wrote:

I looked into adding the heat strips to my jayco and called Coleman and talked to them about it. They advised that it would be a waste of money and if the temp was below about 70 degrees it would be useless.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Steven Kerns
Sent: Monday, April 01, 2013 1:11 PM

Just my observation...

Steven Kerns

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 10915
Rmove the filter and look up. You will see a loop with a whole set of metal discs attached, its in front of the cooling coil.

Dave

Ramesh Rattan  wrote:

How would one know if there is electric heat integrated in the roof top AC unit?
In Mesa we tried to get propane filled by delivery. Apparently the city does not allow it, yet you can do so in Apache Junction just a couple miles away. When it was cold here in jan and feb we had a hard time keeping warm with electric heaters.
Seneca 2006.

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 10916
Our experience with heat strips has been very favourable in our park model in Florida. They are integrated with the AC unit and provide enough heat when the temperature occasionally drops below freezing.

We had heat strips in our first MH - Class A gas Triple E Commander. They sucked. After seeing how well they work in our park model, I suspect something wasn't right with those in the Triple E. We only used the propane furnace ONCE. On the Cabot Trail in Sept when it got kinda cool. Only problem was that the propane tank gauge moved much faster than the speedometer. We then added a couple of electric heaters that worked well.

Our second MH was a 39W Winnie Journey with central heat pump. It worked fine for cooling but for heat it would shut down early and we were told that it did not have a defrost cycle so could not be used in really cold situations. The only problem with the unit for cooling was when the unit fired up at night. It was under the bedroom and it would wake me up. Winnie has gone back to roof units.

Third was a 41 ft Ambassador with two rooftop heat pumps. They were super. Worked effectively well below freezing. Nice thing about two was that we could just run the front unit at night and that kept the noise to the bedroom down.

Fourth was Jayco Greyhawk on Kodiak - back to using our two heaters.

In the fall of 2011 we added a 41 ft destination trailer (2 bedrooms and 2 baths) to the lot next to our park model (we'd put the motorhomes on it in the past). This season we bought one of the electric fireplaces (after finding it was nice to have in the park model) and it has surprised us. When the temperature was 37 (rare in FLA of course) it kept the entire unit at the set temperature of 69 with no problem. I didn't expect it to be that effective. Also a nice realistic (and romantic) artificial flame.

Don

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 10972
I am wanting to add a heat strip to my 2007 Jayco Seneca 34SS
rear A/C unit and hope someone has the part number for the heat strip and is there any other item that is needed.
I pulled the thermostat and it has a white wire for the electric heat.
I know I will need to run a wire up top but is that the only wire to run?
Thanks, Kev

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 10973
That is the only wire you need to run, but you will also need a new control box in the a/c. It will replace the black plastic box where the elec connections are, right above the filter.

I don't have the part number for the kit ( control box and heat strip), but if I remember correctly it is about $150.

Dave

quadnkev  wrote:

I am wanting to add a heat strip to my 2007 Jayco Seneca 34SS
rear A/C unit and hope someone has the part number for the heat strip and is there any other item that is needed.
I pulled the thermostat and it has a white wire for the electric heat.
I know I will need to run a wire up top but is that the only wire to run?
Thanks, Kev