Skip to main content
Topic: Winter travels and RV upgrades (Read 1988 times) previous topic - next topic

Winter travels and RV upgrades

Yahoo Message Number: 12156
My wife and I got good news yesterday. We are cleared by her doctor to travel this winter. List of thing I have done to MH this fall.
1. Put Air Tabs on bottom of cab over. I drove a couple 100 miles with this upgrade. But conditions where not bad. It does seem to make a difference in cab noise. Will report back after more miles are put on MH. Got suggestion from a thread on RV.NET. http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/27034311/srt/pa/pging/1/page/2.cfm
2. Put a 1000 Pure Sine Wave Inverter in place of the 1500 watt Modified Sine Wave inverter. I like it so far.
3. Cleaned up monitor area. When I installed See Level it went into a area below OEM monitor. I modified it to put all in same area. Here is a link to some pictures. http://s35.photobucket.com/user/ronjhall/slideshow/Motorhome%20monitor%20upgrade
4. Wife really like her Induction stove in the house and her portable induction burner we have in the MH. They now offer this option in a all electric RV. After some research I found the same model that is being put in RV's. Tru Induction. http://www.trueinduction.com/ . To solve the problem with Induction burner being bigger than gas range. I decided to install a new counter top and sink. Wife did not like the sink in MH because it was to small. She wanted a single bowl. Off I went to Menards for the items. Here is a link to the before and after pictures. http://s35.photobucket.com/user/ronjhall/slideshow/Induction%20Burner%20install%20in%20motorhome
I also added some small stroage areas under counter top.
I will post update on how these items work during our winter travels.
Best
Ron Hall

Re: Winter travels and RV upgrades

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 12157
Glad to hear all is "good to go" for Betty. You have been a very busy person so now you get to enjoy all your upgrades. Happy and safe travels.

Dave

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 12158
As always I appreciate the information. I notice on the pictures of your kitchen, sink, burner upgrade that there was a shinny foil looking covering over the window. I assume that it has some insulating qualities. What is it and where are they available?

Thanks again
Doug
2005 Gulfstream Endura 6340
Diesel

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 12159
It is Reflectix insulation sold at Lowes and HD. I bought a 2' X 25' roll of it. then made covers for every window in the RV. Sealed all the cut edges with Duct Tape.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 12160
Thanks I have some in the barn

Douglas Brothers

ronjhall@... wrote:

It is Reflectix insulation sold at Lowes and HD. I bought a 2' X 25' roll of it. then made covers for every window in the RV. Sealed all the cut edges with Duct Tape.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 12161
WOW, you never cease to amaze! Tell me Ron, do you sleep? :-) really nice job on the coach and I'm glad to hear your wife got the travel okay. Have a safe trip.

Take care,
Greg

Kodiak model numbers

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 12162
I hope someone here can shed some light on this. I was looking at some parts online and the site asked what trim model the Kodiak was and then listed these:
C5C042
C5E042
C5U042
C5C044
C5E044
C5V042

I don't see this listed on my build sheet or within the VIN. If it's on the coach, where would it be?

Thanks,
Greg

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 12164
I read and viewed his work in bed on my iPad this morning. When I finished I was exhausted and went back to sleep.

Ron just doesn't stop. He is like that Duracell bunny. He just keeps going and going.

On the relief front, we finally got our new 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited today. It is now in our garage at home while we are in Florida. DW has to wait another month before she gets to drive her new car. Next issue will be base plates. We'd love to have them done by Blue Ox on their "first" plan but I doubt that will still be open in April.

Don

Re: Kodiak model numbers

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 12165
The online order guide for the MH version indicates it is C5U042

Don

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 12169
Oh oh. Should have been the Energizer Bunny - not Duracell. My bad. :)

Don

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 12174
It my wife. She wants a RV with all these new features.
Don, I would take your new Jeep to Blue Ox for the base plate. But I am heading south on Sunday.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 12176
Hi Greg,

Found this in one of the Kodiak GM manuals. The title of the attachment is the manual name as well. This attachment is just the one page that decodes the chassis config. Please let me know if the attachment does not work.

Mike

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 12177
Hi Greg,

I found this in one of the GM manuals. The title of the attachment is the title of the document. The attachment is only the one page that decodes the Chassis config you want. I hope that helps....

Mike

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:23 PM, Greg Gimlick  wrote:

Thanks Dwaine, I'll check it tomorrow.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 12178
Nice stuff. Glad you are cleared to roam the planet too!

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

On Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:52 PM, Greg Gimlick  wrote:

Re: Kodiak model numbers [1 Attachment]

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 12179

Found this in one of the Kodiak GM manuals. The title of the attachment
is the manual name as well. This attachment is just the one page
that decodes the chassis config. Please let me know if the attachment
does not work.

Thanks Mike, it came thru just fine. I also found the plate on the door
so this decodes that as well.

Naturally our list owner Don was correct saying it was a C5U042

Thanks,
Greg

PEX tool

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 12229
A while back someone...probably Ron, mentioned a PEX crimping tool from someplace that was reasonably priced. I thought I saved the reference, but can't find it.

With the weather being below zero in Denver, I thought it might be prudent to be able to cut, crimp, and repair if needed.

I've got another week to complete the preparations for the trip.

Take care,
Greg

Re: PEX tool

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 12230
Just finished a PEX repair....used a "shark bite fitting" no tool required.@ Home Depot

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE DROID

Greg Gimlick  wrote:

A while back someone...probably Ron, mentioned a PEX crimping tool from someplace that was reasonably priced. I thought I saved the reference, but can't find it.

With the weather being below zero in Denver, I thought it might be prudent to be able to cut, crimp, and repair if needed.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 12231
I agree. All you need is a tubing cutter, about ($15). Sharkbite or Gator Bite at Lowes work great for repairs.

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 12233
Greg, Besure you leave the door open under the sink kitchen sink.

Dave

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 12234
Attachments :

I bought this tool from Menards for $89 which includes the heads for 4 sizes of Pex fittings.
    http://www.menards.com/main/plumbing/plumbing-tools/hand-tools/pex-tools/multi-head-pex-crimp-tool/p-1805177-c-8609.htm

Although I don't use it often, it has easily paid for itself over the price of Sharkbite fittings. That being said, there are places the Sharkbites just won't fit and places where it is difficult to use the Pex tool due to space around the fitting to use the tool and Sharkbites are the way to go. I have some 90 degree Sharkbite fittings on the back side of our whirlpool tub at home in a space that using the Pex tool would have been difficult. They have been in place for 10 years without any issues.
    Greg
    MN

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Greg Gimlick
    Sent: Friday, December 06, 2013 7:57 PM
    To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] PEX tool

Take care,

Greg

Reply #25
    Yahoo Message Number: 12235
    Well you've convinced me, I'll head to Home Depot and pick up a couple of fittings to take with me. I've never used Shark Bite stuff, but it looks to be the perfect "just in case" solution to have on hand.

Thanks everyone.

Take care,
    Greg

Reply #26
    Yahoo Message Number: 12236
    I have the PEX tool. Watts PEX P-949 Ratcheting Cinch Clamp Tool for 3/8-Inch 1/2-Inch 3/4-Inch...
    Plus a supply of rings. Have used it many times to update tank washers and fresh water lines. More than paid for it. That being said. If your water lines freeze. The PEX will probably survive. Fittings will not. They crack and leak. Will not take long to pay for tool and rings when using Sharkbites. I have a few spare fittings. I also carry a section of 1/2" PEX pipe. Easier to remove a whole section than try to get old fittings out. But I am sure that the one I need will not be in my spare parts kit. It will take a trip to HD to fix it. If you plan on modifying your RV get the tool. Otherwise get the parts as needed.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #27
    Yahoo Message Number: 12237
    Ron Hall wrote:

I have the PEX tool.

How did I know it was you :-)

your water lines freeze. The PEX will probably survive. Fittings will
    not. They crack and leak.

That's what I thought. I left the great frozen north of NY (Plattsburgh)
    in the 70's and haven't dealt with these sorts of things in ages. I
    winterize the campers here and have never had a broken line so this trip
    to Denver next week is a bit nerve wracking given the temps they've had
    lately.

I have a few spare fittings. I also
    carry a section of 1/2" PEX pipe. Easier to remove a whole section
    than try to get old fittings out. But I am sure that the one I need
    will not be in my spare parts kit.

That's one of nature's laws :-\

If you plan on modifying your RV get the tool. Otherwise get the
    parts as needed.

That's the tact I'm taking. When we get back, I'll probably change a
    couple of things, but in the meantime I'm trying to plan for the worst
    and hope for the best.

A couple of things I've never paid any attention to because it wasn't
    relevant for me in the past. The low point drain lines exit the bottom
    of the RV under the bath over the propane tank curbside, they travel
    across the bottom to the dump valve compartment. This means they are
    unprotected and outside. Stupid. I've insulated them and will put the
    thermostat lights in those areas....and cross my fingers. In the spring
    I will cut those lines inside under the bathroom cabinet and install
    shut-off valves there so I can drain the outside line and close off the
    rest of it inside for cold weather trips. The line feeding the toilet
    leaves the heated under-cabinet section over the generator and travels
    unprotected thru the dump valve area to the toilet where it goes back up
    thru the floor. Same there with the insulation and lamp in hopes of
    keeping it unfrozen. I just don't understand selling a unit as "four
    season" with heated holding tanks and then doing silly things like this.

I suppose after so many years of owning various RV's, I should be used
    to it, but some things still surprise me.

Greg

Reply #28
    Yahoo Message Number: 12238
    A little report on our travels.
    Air tabs make a big difference in wind noise around doors and windows. I only have 8 on each side of cab over. This redirects air away from doors and windows. May install more to complete a full width install. 2 things showed up as negatives with this install.
    Bugs get splattered to front radius of cab over. This also means they are not on the windshield and bottom of cab over. There was always some bugs on front radius. But there seem to be more on this area now.
    The other concern is windshield washer solvent is blown out away from windshield. Enough gets on windshield to get it clean with wipers. But I can see the solvent get blown out away from windshield and off to side of cab.
    I no longer hear the buffeting of air against side windows when wind is blowing from side.
    All the other mods have worked well in a little over 2000 mile trip. Best was towing our 2012 Chevy Captiva. Very good vehicle to tow.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #29
    Yahoo Message Number: 12297
    Have any pictures of the install? Doing them up front is interesting
    I have looked into these a bit, am wanting to know if they would keep the
    the rear view camera cleaner for a longer time.