Skip to main content
Topic: Check engine light, limp mode (Read 560 times) previous topic - next topic

Check engine light, limp mode

Yahoo Message Number: 12166
While on my way from NW Georgia to Jacksonville, FL my rig went into limp mode after an engine code came in.

I was downshifted while going up a hill coming into Atlanta on I-75. When I topped the hill and it upshifted an engine code came in and I was capped at about 40 mph. Other than the speed cap and check engine light everything seemed fine..... So I took the Buckhead exit in ATL and found a Publix parking lot....After trying to get roadside assistance to find someplace to help me on a Saturday afternoon (unsucessfully), I walked to a service station nearby and a kind tech with a handheld OBD 2 reader walked back with me to read and clear the code, free of charge, I might add!

The code was P0087, Fuel Rail, Pressure. After the code was clear the truck ran fine the rest away to Florida.... My guess is that the Fuel Filter may need to be replaced. It should have been replaced last December when the previous owner had a $1100 service done. Any thoughts?

I have a replacement filter but I have a few questions. First, is there a priming sequence that must be done after replacement? Second, the sensor in the bottom of the existing filter is not plugged in to anything. It's just hanging there. Where is that supposed to plug into? Why do you think it's not plugged in?

Thanks,

Neil White

Re: Check engine light, limp mode

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 12167
I had the same thing happen and it was the filter. It either needs to be replaced or it may be loose and sucking air. Also check the bleed screw on top and make sure it's snug.

Dave

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 12168
Instructions for replacing the fuel filter are in the Kodiak Owner's Manual, including priming.

One tank of dirty fuel will foul the filter.

The plug is for the water sensor. May have been an oversight to plug in at last filter change. Its mate should be very close by. Not easy to dis- or re- connect.

Charles

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 12173
When climbing hills try to keep engine RPM's below 3000 rpms. Helps the engine and trans to live better.

There are several fuel filter video's on U-Tube on changing the filter on a pickup. Only difference is pickups have their filler on the passenger side of engine.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 12175
I had a similar experience lately. I had come back from a desert trip in hot weather. Everything worked just fine. It got much colder on my return and I only had one-half tank of fuel. A day or two later, I started the engine without incident. It ran for about 15 seconds and shut down flat. There were no codes. I was parked on a slight hill with the tank down hill from the engine as well as a slight tilt to the passenger's side. Ultimately I heated the engine with 120 power and released the vacuum in the fuel tank by removing the filler cap. Then the engine started. It loped for a while which lead me to believe it was starved for fuel. So the next week when it went in for service it got new a filter. Since then there have been no problems.

It was an inexpensive lesson on the importance of keeping the fuel filter clean. I didn't know that a single tank could foul a filter. An on-board spare would seem to be in order.