Skip to main content
Topic: Roadside tire service with no spare (Read 954 times) previous topic - next topic

Roadside tire service with no spare

Yahoo Message Number: 12832
Anyone have a towing service that will bring a tire to you and mount it on your rim along the road (like the semis)?

When I had a blowout on Sunday, I used my emergency roadside assistance company for the first time (Paragon). I was surprised when the dispatcher said, "Oh, we don't bring tires and mount them, we tow you to a nearby location of your choice." Frankly, with the long rear overhang, I don't want my Seneca towed unless absolutely necessary. And in a strange area, on a Sunday, I have no idea where to go. Useless service.

George

Re: Roadside tire service with no spare

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 12833
I"ve had AAA do that for me twice.
Morrigan

CC: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tue, 6 May 2014 21:32:23 -0400
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Roadside tire service with no spare

Anyone have a towing service that will bring a tire to you and mount it on your rim along the road (like the semis)?

When I had a blowout on Sunday, I used my emergency roadside assistance company for the first time (Paragon). I was surprised when the dispatcher said, "Oh, we don't bring tires and mount them, we tow you to a nearby location of your choice." Frankly, with the long rear overhang, I don't want my Seneca towed unless absolutely necessary. And in a strange area, on a Sunday, I have no idea where to go. Useless service.

George

Yahoo Groups Links

To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/

Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

To change settings via email:
KodiakChassisClassC-digest@yahoogroups.com
KodiakChassisClassC-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

Your use of Yahoo Groups is subject to:
https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 12834

Petes Road Service around here.
Victor Burns
KI6IM
Jayco Embark TB390
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H - For Sale

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 12835
That's why you need a road service that knows how to service RV's.
I looked at their service statement. It does state that is how they will service a flat tire call with no spare.
Paragon Motor Club : Roadside Assistance

Paragon Motor Club : Roadside Assistance
At no charge to members, we include your automobile and motorcycle for                               roadside assistance on each and every RV roadside service                               membership.

View on www.paragonmotorc...
right

Best
Ron Hall

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 12836
Coach net brings tire and installs on side of road. I think u have to have the premier policy. I have coach net they have a nice phone app. I haven't had to use them yet

Larry Payne  ⛳

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 12837
I have AAA with RV Plus and was sort of OK with it when we had a travel trailer.
We will just let it expire but will gather a bunch of maps first.

Now with a Seneca they will not even change a 19.5 complete spare much less do a tire change.
So we went with the Good Sam roadside assistance program.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 12838
Thanks for the info. guys. Since my Paragon policy was called RV Advantage, and since less than 7% of all motorhomes even carry a mounted spare, I just assumed -- Silly me! Requested a refund today and will now check out Coach Net, AAA and a couple others. Looks like FMCA doesn't carry this product.

George

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 12839
FMCA does have a connection with Coach Net for a group deal as I recall. When I had CoachNet FMCA was mentioned.

Don

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 12840
Just took a look at the FMCA site and it appears CoachNet is not a benefit. With each new MH we purchased (4) we got a one year CoachNet subscription. Usually we already had CN coverage so they extended it by a year. As I recall Jayco provided a one year policy as well but CN would not add a year to our existing policy that still had a couple of years to run. Seems they have a special deal with the manufacturers (no doubt they figure once you join you won't quit) and the price charged the RV manufacturer is very low so they will no longer simply add a year to an existing policy.

Some of the "brand" clubs do have "deals" with CoachNet if you are a club member - Winnie/Itasca for example.

Don

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 12841
Thanks, I'll check it out. Good Sam may be an option too. I need some coverage. That "Sunday Road Service," plus a tire, cost me $800.00 -- Ouch!

George

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 12843
wierd, they've brought out tires and replaced them for us twice.

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 12844
With AAA? I asked at the office and they had to call someone about 19.5 rims.
All they will do is tow to a service place, no roadside repair. We have the AAA plus RV.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 12845
Note, AAA has severe mileage limits. We switched to Good Sam.

Rob Wheeler
Fourwinds 34H

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note® II

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 12847
I carry both AAA RV Plus and Good Sam. They each have their uses and it is only another $100 a year for peace of mind.

If the RV will not or cannot move, or if there is some problem with the RV itself, Good Sam is going to send someone who can help you. Jacks won't retract? Good Sam. But they won't tow you for any distance.

If it is towable, AAA is your resource. With RV Plus, they will tow you where ever you need to go, up to 100 miles. It is unlikely that any local outlet is going to stock your particular tire size, so immediate roadside change and repair is unlikely. (That's why people advise carrying a spare.)

I was broken down once and called AAA to request a tow of my diesel pusher to the Freightliner dealer in St. Louis. 96 miles. Can you imagine what that cost AAA? But it got me repaired and back on the road the next morning.

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 12848
I had an incident where I had a hitch shear in half at state line. I had a car on the trailer and it was stuck in the middle of the road. Had my wife call and returned to the rig to find her cussing like a sailor and was advised they would not be sending anybody because there was a car on the trailer. Wound up paying some guys gassing up a chevy HD to hook up to my hich and tow it into the parking lot. I also had premium RV with AAA; for 20 plus years. Say by by. We now have good sam. Can't comment on them haven't had to use them.

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, May 8, 2014 9:07 AM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Roadside tire service with no spare

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 12851
only reporting what I know. Here in Western WA. AAA has a contract with Les Shuab, who has on two separate occasions come out and replaced the tire (inside dually on each side) at the cost of the tire only. both times the vehicle was dispatched from Tacoma. whether you care to believe me or not is frankly not something I'm going to loose sleep over.
Morrigan

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 12852
The problem with AAA is not all areas of the USA are covered like they do in WA and MI. KY is one that does not support RV's. Best Ron Hall

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 12853
I wish there was one here. I have had VERY good luck with Les Schwab, any place I have worked with them. And that is a bit more often that I would like to admit...

Leaky stems, short stems, .... Every time a perfect fix, and they seem to even understand the weirdness/special characteristics of our aluminum rims.

I say again, I wish there was one in Texas....

Signed - a believer in Texas

Kevin

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 12856
That you had AAA and Les Schwab was the responder worked out great for you.
Elsewhere in the country that may not be the case and is my concern.
I recently had Les Schwab replace my tires and had them add in-tire Tire Pressure Monitors
and am happy with their service.
That cannot be said of AAA Plus RV service in areas not being contracted to Les Schwab.
A lot of our travels are not where they are predominate in the market.
Best of luck, sleep well.
Kev