Skip to main content
Topic: Toad issue...Anyone towing a 2005 Tahoe? (Read 1827 times) previous topic - next topic

Toad issue...Anyone towing a 2005 Tahoe?

Yahoo Message Number: 15111
I just started toading 4 down a 2005 chevy tahoe and after I unhook and start driving I notice a odor from the engine compartment. Its a faint smell of burning rubber? I can't locate anything melting and neither can my mechanic. The truck runs perfect, but I am just waiting for something to go wrong. Has anyone else noticed this issue with your toad?

thanks!

Carl

Re: Toad issue...Anyone towing a 2005 Tahoe?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 15112
That’s the first sign the transmission is toast……..JUST JOKING! I have the same smell and was told it’s the bits of tire rubber and other road debris which is burning off the engine and exhaust pipes. After almost 10 years of flat towing, I hardly notice it any more, its become a norm. I tow a Surburban, the big brother of the Tahoe.  Roger 

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 15113
Could be just the junk burning off muffler and from radiator that accumulated from towing. My jeep has that sometimes.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 15114
X 3 Just the rubber dust that collects off the road on the manifold and exhaust system. Only way I know to stop it is always drive in the rain. :)

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 15116
X4. Even when I towed on a dolly had the same smell.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 15117
X5, towed a Saturn Vue for over 50,000 miles and occasionally get it too. No worries.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 15119
Road grime burning off the exhaust.
Our jeep does the same thing

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 15122
Towed a 2007 Tahoe LTZ for almost 4 years and never encountered that problem. For the record I didn't drive in the rain very often. :)

Don

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 15124
2007 Seneca 34SS. Has more than enough power to pull my 2005 Z71 Tahoe. been through the smokies twice with no issues.

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 15127
My concern was NOT with the power as I'd rather have had the Duramax and the exhaust brake. It was the weight of the MH + the Tahoe and it would be too easy to exceed the GCWR. Some don't mind going over the 26,000, but I am not one of them. I think Thor was the only manufacturer to go to the 30000 lb GCWR (transmission change needed) but they didn't make too many before Kodiak production ceased.

Don

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 15128
Don, do you think I am over by towing the tahoe? How would I go about calculating this? If it matters I did recently pay to have the 19000lb springs put in as the previous owner did not take advantage of that upgrade when it was offered.

On Thursday, April 14, 2016 1:21 PM, "Don Leslie don.leslie@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 15129
Don, do you think I am over by towing the tahoe? How would I go about calculating this? If it matters I did recently pay to have the 19000lb springs put in as the previous owner did not take advantage of that upgrade when it was offered.

On Thursday, April 14, 2016 2:47 PM, "Carl Rhineberger crhineberger1@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 15130
I weighed my 2004 Gulf Stream 6340 (35') at a CAT scale at a truck stop last fall. Total weight with all our stuff, full fuel, 70 gallons water and our Chevy Captiva in tow was 25250 lbs. Get yours weighed. Your Tahoe weighs about 2000 lbs more than my Captiva. Plus the Seneca 34SS weighs more than my Endura. Would I recommend pulling over weight. Never. But just about all the 35' Seneca's are pulling over weight with a toad of any size.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 15131
Forgot to mention. The 26,000 lbs weight limit is a licensing limit. The rules and limit's are different for a commercial vehicle that weighs over 26,000 lbs.
Ask Dane Goodwin what happens when you try to tow over weight in the mountains. Heck I will tell you. The engine blows. $13K for a new engine.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 15135
I do not think that the tune did it. He was towing his Toyota and boat at the same time. Well over 26k lbs. Put a EGT gauge in his MH last winter. He knows to keep temperatures below 1,300 degrees. That requires slowing down. Just because you do 70 mph up a mountain does not mean it is good for the engine.
How is it going with 5er and truck? How is your wife?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 15136

All's well.
We are now FL property owners, bought a deeded RV lot in Clermont. That will be home base as we are selling our stick house. FL taxes, or lack of, were more conducive than ILL. With 2 kids in IL and one in CO no reason to stay in OH.
Saw Don & Gary in Feb, met for lunch. Truck is hauling the FW great holding right at 11 mpg, couldn't be happier.
Tell Betty "Hi", may be in MI this summer if so will let you know.
Safe travels
Dave

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 15137
Dave, sorry we couldn't get buy to see your new lot before you headed north. We just got home yesterday. Looking forward to visiting in November when we get back to FLA for the winter.

I'm not surprised you are making FLA home base. Good move. We can't do that of course. :(

BTW, there sure are not a lot of land condos around. We only have a couple in Manatee and Sarasota counties.

Do let us know when you are in MI as we will be there with our MH in late August - at Ludington.

Best

Don

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 15138

We'll be there, returning late OCT so we can be at DIS for Halloween. Enjoy your summer.

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 15139
Dave
We are doing great. Taking a slow tirp back home from AZ. Good news on the lot in FL.
When you are in MI, You are welcome to stay at our place 50amp, water and dump station. NW of Detroit about 50 miles. This offer is available to all on this forum.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 15142
Thanks for the help everyone. I wish the dealer that I had set me up with the Blue ox tow package gave me more details... I will have to get it weighed. I have seen places with scales on our trips. Do I just pull up and ask them to weigh it? Forgive my ignorance! I was looking at other posts around the web and one guy said his 34ss was @ 18,700lb. with full fuel and propane, driver, no water or added gear. I also found the tahoe on google to be listed at 5,262. Jayco says max is 26,000. SO I am really close if these calculations are correct! I guess that big dumb bull mastiff will have to stay home...

Reply #25
Yahoo Message Number: 15143
Just pull onto the scales. There should be a call box some where towards front of scales. Speak to the attendant. You will have to go inside to pay for scale weights and get a copy of them. Usually less than $10.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #26
Yahoo Message Number: 15145
I pull a car trailer for road racing at 6000lbs with no issues, don't think you have any worries!