Skip to main content
Topic: Filters (Read 1336 times) previous topic - next topic

Filters

Yahoo Message Number: 3439
A word of caution. If you buy a filter or filters from Ebay be sure that you are buying a genuine Allison filter. I have compared Baldwin, Wix, Champion the major manufactures of these filters. The Allison has larger return holes than the rest. The Baldwin is now manufactured in China. They used to be my filter of choice until they did that. I get my Allison filters from an Allison dealer. About 10 bucks. They also will have Tryansynd fluid. As stated before the internal filter does not need to be changed. The Allison folks state at overhaul or major repair. Just my two and half cents.
Denny

Re: Filters

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 3696
They were 7.50 at my Allison dealer.

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thu, December 31, 2009 6:33:54 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Filters

A word of caution. If you buy a filter or filters from Ebay be sure that you are buying a genuine Allison filter. I have compared Baldwin, Wix, Champion the major manufactures of these filters. The Allison has larger return holes than the rest. The Baldwin is now manufactured in China. They used to be my filter of choice until they did that. I get my Allison filters from an Allison dealer. About 10 bucks. They also will have Tryansynd fluid. As stated before the internal filter does not need to be changed. The Allison folks state at overhaul or major repair. Just my two and half cents.
Denny

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 3697
Another concern with using off brand filters for the Allison spin-on filter is the surface where magnet sets is flat on some filters. This cuts off flow threw filter. Best way to make sure there is not a problem is to use only the Allison filter. I buy mine off EBAY in groups of 3 to save money.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 3698
What amazed me when I bought one in 2008 (which I still have as I decided to have the dealer do it with first year maintenance) was the price from Allison dealers vs GM Medium Truck Dealers. All of the MDT's I called were over $30 and approaching $40 each. Makes one wonder. I paid $12 at an Allison dealer that whose primary biz was International Trucks.

Don

Generator exhaust hanger

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 3699
I had the motorhome (32SS) out this weekend for a day trip and noticed the vulcanized rubber piece in the generator exhaust hanger is broken. Actually there are two pieces and just one is broken completely and the other is broken about half way thru so it's on the way. I picked up some stuff to replace it today and tomorrow I'll take some photos before and after to show.

I thought I had read someone else having similar problems, but didn't see it on a search of the archives. Anybody already been thru this? The exhaust on the gen sure seems to move around a lot.

Take care,
Greg

Re: Generator exhaust hanger

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 3700
That was the exhaust hangers for the engine exhaust not the generator. I seem to recall that when I looked at the generator exhaust hanger about two years ago I wondered how long it was going to last. Guess I'd better go out and look this week as I've got to exercise the generator on Wednesday.

Don

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 3701
Had to replace on my Funmover that I had. Not a big deal, but just one of those "something to repair" that you have to do after any trip.

It's always something.

Keith

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Mon, February 22, 2010 2:20:30 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Generator exhaust hanger

I had the motorhome (32SS) out this weekend for a day trip and noticed the vulcanized rubber piece in the generator exhaust hanger is broken. Actually there are two pieces and just one is broken completely and the other is broken about half way thru so it's on the way. I picked up some stuff to replace it today and tomorrow I'll take some photos before and after to show.

I thought I had read someone else having similar problems, but didn't see it on a search of the archives. Anybody already been thru this? The exhaust on the gen sure seems to move around a lot.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 3702
Sounds like a good thing for me to check also, starting to get the fever to go SOMEWHERE. It seems everything here close in Fl is booked !!!

Don Leslie wrote:

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 3703
I have also had to replace my generator exhaust hangers on our Four Winds 34h. I had mentioned it in the exhaust hanger thread. As I recall they appeared to be the same type as the exhaust hangers which broke. I guess that the Kodiak chassis vibrates too much to use cheap hangers.

David

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 3704
Had to go out and check mine. They are in good shape after 46,000 miles and 6 years of use. On my Endura the generator is behind rear wheels and on Passenger side of MH. I wonder if that makes a difference?

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 3705
I changed the exhaust hanger on the generator of the Greyhawk 32SS today. The first photo is the old one and sorry for the focus, I was holding the camera up under the side and didn't realize it hadn't focused on the hanger. The ones of the new installation were taken while I was up under the motorhome.

The new hanger and clamp came from Advance Auto Parts and cost about $5 all together. It's much heavier than the original so maybe it will last more than 2 1/2 years.

The RV show is in Raleigh, NC this weekend so we'll go and see what's happened since last year.

In case the photos don't go thru for some reason, I'll put them here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/photos/album/1074316868/pic/list

Not sure why the one isn't rotated properly, it was when I looked at it here.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 3706
Mine is behind the rear wheels on the driver's side.

Haven't put my coveralls on to get underneath yet - that comes tomorrow.

Have to go back and see how to open that darn battery compartment again. Sure looks like a lousy place to put a kill switch.

D

Norcold Reinforcement Bracket

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 3707
We talked at one time about the problem of the plastic hinge on the bottom of the norcold doors cracking and the door can fall off. Mine did it last year coming back from Denver and fortunately was still under warranty. They replaced the door and that was it. I was talking to a friend of mine whose company does the plastic extrusions for Norcold and mentioned the door problem. He said he'd ask his engineer contact there if it was a common problem. I told him it was all over the forums so they must know about it. Anyway, a couple days later I got this little bracket in the mail that is their fix for the cracked hinges. If it's broken completely as mine was they have to replace the door, but if it's just cracked, they say this will support it. Since mine was new I figured I'd go ahead and put it on and protect it from the start. It's a clever design and it's almost as if they built the door with a gap on purpose for such a retrofit.

Anyway, I'll try to show the photos, but if it doesn't work, they're here. I think they're at the bottom of the page and onto the second.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/photos/album/1074316868/pic/list?mode=tn&order=ordinal&start=1&dir=asc

Take care,
Greg

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 3708
I must be having a bad case of CRS today. Forgot about rerouting the generator exhaust 4 years ago out the rear of MH. Added the same hanger that Greg put on at that time.

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 3709
You are excused. I call it sometimers. Sometimes I remember and sometimes I don't. :(

Don

Re: Norcold Reinforcement Bracket

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 3710
, "Greg Gimlick"  wrote:

Anyway, a couple days later I got this little bracket in the mail that is their fix for the cracked hinges.

Greg, I replaced my door last fall for the same problem. Is that bracket available for order? If you don't know, can you find out from your friends? I would like to have the reinforcement for peace of mind. Thanks, Bob

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 3711
I haven't had a problem (fingers crossed) but I'd like to have it as well. Might be something nice to have done at the rally.

Don

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 3712
> Is that bracket available for order? If you don't know, can you find out from your friends?

I'll ask Jim if he can get a part number for me. He was handed one when he was there and asked about it for me so there was no packaging. I'll see what I can find out.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 3721

Well I don't have any good news from my contact with contacts inside Norcold. It seems that they have plenty of these little brackets to reinforce the doors, but they are not in the distribution chain yet. Silly reasons like packaging and no instructions apparently. My friend said it was clearly a matter of frustration between the design engineers who reacted quickly and the legal/marketing/distribution end of the business.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #19
Yahoo Message Number: 3723
I had sent an email to Norcold about my frig and received the following response.

Goes right along with what you were saying...

From: DDownard@... [mailto:DDownard@...] On Behalf Of Info@...
Sent: Friday, February 26, 2010 4:02 PM
To: Billy Piner
Subject: Re: Norcold N841IM Lower Door

Good Afternoon,

The doors have been reinforced, however there is not a part that you can purchase. It is all part of the door and the whole door would need to be replaced. I do apologize for the inconvenience.

Sincerely,

Darlene
Consumer Service
Thetford Corp/Norcold Inc

"Billy XXXXX
02/25/2010 12:36 PM

right

info@...

right
right

Norcold N841IM Lower Door

Dear sirs,

About three years back (refrigerator was about two year old), I had my lower refrigerator door replaced, under warranty, when the lower hinge failed. At that time, the technical representative made a comment about a hinge reinforcement that was under development.

While inspecting my motor home, this week, in preparation for the upcoming season, I found the lower refrigerator door hinge is showing signs of stress, and maybe a slight crack. Is there now a reinforcement available for the lower door? [I stopped in at Sand Castle Motors in Morehead City and they were unaware of any such reinforcement.] Is there a part number? And, from whom can I order the reinforcement?

My Model number is N841IM. The serial number is 8035183. And the Group number is 50216.

Thank you.

Billy XXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXX

Reply #20
Yahoo Message Number: 3724
, "Greg Gimlick"  wrote:

Well I don't have any good news from my contact with contacts inside
Norcold. It seems that they have plenty of these little brackets to
reinforce the doors, but they are not in the distribution chain yet.

Thanks, Greg. If you do hear anything, please let us know.

Bob

Re: Generator exhaust hanger [3 Attachments]

Reply #21
Yahoo Message Number: 4178
Went out recently and took a look at mine. Extensive cracking and deterioration and looks like I'd better replace it before we head north.

Any part numbers at Advance Auto for those of us with 5 thumbs on each hand?

Don

Reply #22
Yahoo Message Number: 4179
Don Leslie wrote:

Any part numbers at Advance Auto for those of us with 5 thumbs on each hand?

I don't have the box for it now, but last week I stopped in at Auto Zone
and picked up the same thing there. One of the original engine exhaust
hangers that broke on my trip last year finished breaking. I had jury
rigged it with a hose clamp and the bottom of the bracket has broken now
too. It was an extra really just ahead of the one they put on after the
recall. They left my jury rigged one at the time, but it eventually
broke. I figured since we're headed out west next month I'd go ahead and
replace it. I cut the old one off and left the welded strap to bolt this
one to.

Long story short....I don't have a part number, but both Advance Auto
and Auto Zone have them in the exhaust repair section. They are about $4
and are universal swivel brackets.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #23
Yahoo Message Number: 4180
Thanks Greg. I'll take off the current one and just make sure I get and adequate match for length and fit to the pipe.

Don

Reply #24
Yahoo Message Number: 4181
Don wrote:

Thanks Greg. I'll take off the current one and just make sure I get and
adequate match for length and fit to the pipe.

They sell the hanger and then an assortment of clamps to go around the
pipe. I had the clamps so I didn't have to buy them...so i can't tell
you the size of our pipes either. Not much help I guess ;-\

Take care,
Greg