Skip to main content
Topic: Kodiak factory side mirror troubleshooting (Read 1119 times) previous topic - next topic

Kodiak factory side mirror troubleshooting

Yahoo Message Number: 4450
Hi All,
The upper rectangular flat mirrors on both sides vibrate/shake to the point that they are useless to me.
The lower square convex mirrors do not shake & I can see fine.
The mirror housings also do not appear to be the cause of the problem.
Problem seems to the point of attachment for the flat glass to the pivot point of the mirror, but haven't confirmed that yet.
Discussions with technicians have fed me the line that this is just a poor mirror design from Chevy---best fix is to put something behind the mirror to steady it.
Is this really the case?--have a tough time believing this.
I have not yet disassembled one of the mirror housings, but I'm about to.
Thought I'd check in here first.
Thanks,
Todd

Re: Kodiak factory side mirror troubleshooting

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 4451
My mirror are very stable. Do you have body mounted or door mounted mirrors?

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 4452
Hmmm.
Thanks Ron.
Have body mounted mirrors.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 4453
Here is something to try.
Put one hand behind mirror assembly. Put other hand flat on mirror glass. Carefully press hands together. Trying to seat mirror into it's mounting. Your mirror glass may not be fully seat on the part upper glass set into.
Your Chassis should still be under warranty. Let GM fix the mirror.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 4454
Thanks Ron,
I'll try the seating idea---that sounds we could be onto something.
Am assuming the mirror just snaps in place then---and I don't shatter the glass.....

I've also discovered that when McCormick Motors in Nappanee (sp?), IN sold the chassis to Gulfstream, someone forgot to file the warranty delay paperwork.
My 08 Gulfstream went into service 1/30/07 according to GM's VIN records, but Gulfstream has a 7/08 start date.
At this late date, I'm not getting much hope from GM to get the warranty start date correctly adjusted, but we'll see.
Todd

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ronjhallsr
Sent: Thursday, May 13, 2010 10:07 AM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Kodiak factory side mirror troubleshooting

Here is something to try.
Put one hand behind mirror assembly. Put other hand flat on mirror glass. Carefully press hands together. Trying to seat mirror into it's mounting. Your mirror glass may not be fully seat on the part upper glass set into.
Your Chassis should still be under warranty. Let GM fix the mirror.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 4455
Be very easy with that, You can not buy the internal parts for that mirror, you have to buy te whole mirror. Upward of $500 if I remember right. Or go looking in a junk yard

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 4456
There are some on ebay right now for $115 each ... this seller has them.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Chevy-Kodiak-GMC-Topkick-Drivers-Power-Mirror-w-signal-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem519297a220QQitemZ350351761952

Sent: Thu, May 13, 2010 1:54:31 PM

Be very easy with that, You can not buy the internal parts for that mirror, you have to buy te whole mirror. Upward of $500 if I remember right. Or go looking in a junk yard

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 4457
Thanks for that insight I am buying one. The seller also has a Chevy/Gmc center console for sale. Its $40 plus shipping/ I paid a couple of hundred for one. I could not find a used one. With a little work it will bolt right under the dash of a Kodiak and look factory color and all. Looks just like it looks in a new van.

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 4459

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 4460
We all need pictures of your install. :D
Here is what it looks like in a Van.
Van Console

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 4461
Does anyone have a link for that console? I want one.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of ronjhallsr
Sent: Friday, May 14, 2010 9:24 AM

We all need pictures of your install. :D
Here is what it looks like in a Van.
Van Console

--- In KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com, Doug Polk  wrote:
Thanks for that insight I am buying one. The seller also has a Chevy/Gmc
center console for sale. Its $40 plus shipping/ I paid a couple of hundred for one. I could not find a used one. With a little work it will bolt right under the dash of a Kodiak and look factory color and all. Looks just like it looks in a new van.

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 4462
Sorry I have not participated more been a member since just about the begging. I will take pictures this weekend. It looks just like it does in the van picture you have there, but I will post. It really works out well for us.

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 4464
this is great,
any more details on the install?

thanks
mo

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 4465

The pictures will be here Monday AM, sorry I can't get them here any sooner. I just bolted a piece of strap metal to the top of the console on both sides. They stick out past the back of the console 2 or 3 inches. I bolted the strap to the bottom of the dash. The console is about 1" short so I bought a cutting board about the same color as the carpet, I got lucky and found one the same size as the bottom of the console. I bolted the cutting board to the bottom of the console. Made the height about perfect, and real solid. I was going to carpet around the board but you really don't notice it being there. From the inside of the MH it looks like it came with it. You can tell getting in it from both sides what I did. I will take pictures from the front and the sides. Its easy to do, and really handy. The consoles come with a open compartment in the front or with a door that folds open. I bought mine new so I got mine open. I would not care either way at the prices you can get them for here now. Three years ago I paid $200 from a Chev dealer thats a friend and said it was cost. Who knows.

Reply #16
Yahoo Message Number: 4467
i bought one too. there is now 1 left

don

Reply #17
Yahoo Message Number: 4468

Ron that console looks really useful. I'd sure like to get one as well. Another item to put on our list for Elkart. :)

Don

Reply #18
Yahoo Message Number: 4469
I have stopped at the store. They have a nice store. It's just north of the turnpike.