Skip to main content
Topic: electrical issues (Read 532 times) previous topic - next topic

electrical issues

Yahoo Message Number: 8405
Hey gang,
So the generator fires up and runs okay, but the main power doesn't turn on. Did this once before and re-starting the gen fixed it thoughts? Thanks

Re: electrical issues

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 8406
I would check out the cross over relay. If the problem is intermittent, I would clean the relay contacts and look for loose connections as a first try Be (sure to unplug before opening the relay box)

George

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 8407
And the relay would be located where? Got to the back of the panel and the 1000 watt intelipower converter. Everything looks good.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 8408
Need some information. Model of MH and generator. Are the circuit breakers on on front of generator on. Is it cold out. Takes a couple of minutes for generator to reach temperature before power is sent to transfer switch.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 8410
I am a early riser. Between 4 and 5am Central time.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 8412
MH is a 2005 GS Conquest Ultra Super C. Gen is a Generac Guardian. It was about 35-40* out when happened. I let the Gen run over 10 minutes and flipped the breaker back N forth on the Gen quite a bit. I miss my Onan! Thanks again

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 8415
Does your MH require that power cable be plugged in to a receptacle to get power from generator?
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 8416
No, it is supposed to be automatic. My former rig had a receptacle, which was nice, but this one doesn't.

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 8417
Then I would suspect the transfer switch. Look near where power cord enters RV. Mine is located under closet above electrical compartment. May be a loose wire in the transfer switch. My transfer switch is a Iota. About 10" square. Brown box.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 8418

No luck locating the switch. Only a junction box then the outgoing romex wire disappears probably to the gen. I am suspicious of the breaker on the gen since I am suspicious of anything generac!

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 8419
The transfer switch in my MH is located close to the shore power cord inlet.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 8421
Charles, I find that surprising given that the generator and shore power connection are both at the rear roadside. I wonder why it would be located so far away?

Don

Reply #14
Yahoo Message Number: 8422
Both roadside, but shore connection behind rear wheel, generator behind driver's seat. The transfer switch, converter, breaker and fuse boxes are located together in the vehicle - 05 GS Endura 6316.

Surprising is a word I have frequently used during the ownership of this vehicle. I have fixed many of the "surprises" along the way. However it is also the surprises that made this an affordable vehicle for me.

Charles

Reply #15
Yahoo Message Number: 8479
Okay, so finally found some time to dig around in the Kodiak. I found the switch under the kitchen counter (had to pull the outdoor ent. center out), and found it to have good continuity. Also checked the junction box located near the gen. and ensured the wire nuts were good. checked the main 30 amp breaker on the gen and it had good continuity. Gen power system decided to work for a while, so it kind of shot my troubleshooting in the butt. However, I checked the junction box and it had power. This a.m., system was not working so, with gen running, checked the junction box, and NO power! I'm thinking that narrows it down to the gen, since the junction box appears to be where the splice is from the gen to the switch, to the shore power, if I'm guessing correctly? Other than the main 30 amp breaker, what else can I check in the gen? It must be getting my negative vibes about Generac, and messing with me. It's getting in my head! I really miss the Onan system I had in my Winnebago. No switch, just a plug that was either in the gen outlet or shore power. Convenience can be a curse sometimes. X( angry

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, January 29, 2012 6:44 AM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: electrical issues

Both roadside, but shore connection behind rear wheel, generator behind driver's seat. The transfer switch, converter, breaker and fuse boxes are located together in the vehicle - 05 GS Endura 6316.

Surprising is a word I have frequently used during the ownership of this vehicle. I have fixed many of the "surprises" along the way. However it is also the surprises that made this an affordable vehicle for me.

Charles