Skip to main content
Topic: Awning Follow-up (Read 539 times) previous topic - next topic

Awning Follow-up

Yahoo Message Number: 11093
Okay, all is working again. A bunch of surfing last night found a thread on RV.net where a guy had the same problem and he found out the models of the Carefree Eclipse made from 2006 - 2008 or so had roller tube endcaps with one flat that slips over the motor shaft and it eventually rounds out so the motor shaft just spins inside it. The good news is the cap on the other end is identical and since there isn't a motor on that end, the shaft free spins anyway. I dropped the tube, hanging it on bungees while I swapped the two endcaps. Bolted back up and all is well. Of course this will happen again, but maybe it will last another five years and I'll try to find a replacement. Apparently the new motor assembly has two flats and the endcap does too.

About 90 minutes to fix it.

Take care,
Greg

Re: Awning Follow-up

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 11095

On May 9, 2013, at 10:24 AM, "retiredminiguy"  wrote:

How did you "drop the tube"? You make it sound easy, but .....

The awning was down, I unscrewed the endcap on the motor end and put a rubber bungee around the tube and hung it on the arms where the first joint is so it couldn't slide toward the coach. I did the same for the other end. It's a bit precarious, but if it's not windy, it works. The whole tube and awning just hung like that. Forecast is for 25 mph wind later so doing it early was the choice.

I had rolled the awning up by hand last night and tied it which held for the 60 mph storm gusts. To lower it I had a rope on the tube at one end and a guy from another site came over to hold the arm on the other end from just dropping. I lowere it with the rope from the roof on one end and he held the arms back from the other.

Take care,
Greg

_._,___

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 11096
Thanks.

Mine rolls up so slowly (using the electric motor) that I worry one day, after it ages a couple of years, it won't go up. So, I am trying become more educated in the intricacies of awning operation!

BTW, I complained to the dealer originally about the slow speed. They said that if it moved at all, Care Free would not consider it a warranty problem.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 11097
These stories are why I wanted a good old fashioned manual awning.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, May 9, 2013 8:45 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Awning Follow-up

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 11101
, Greg Gimlick  wrote:
Okay, all is working again. A bunch of surfing last night found a thread on RV.net where a guy had the same problem and he found out the models of the Carefree Eclipse made from 2006 - 2008 or so had roller tube endcaps with one flat that slips over the motor shaft and it eventually rounds out so the motor shaft just spins inside it. The good news is the cap on the other end is identical and since there isn't a motor on that end, the shaft free spins anyway. I dropped the tube, hanging it on bungees while I swapped the two endcaps. Bolted back up and all is well. Of course this will happen again, but maybe it will last another five years and I'll try to find a replacement. Apparently the new motor assembly has two flats and the endcap does too.

About 90 minutes to fix it.

Take care,
Greg

Mine did the same thing. I drilled a hole through the end cap and shaft and inserted a roll pin to beef it up.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 11102
On May 10, 2013, at 1:43 PM, "heavyevans"  wrote:

Mine did the same thing. I drilled a hole through the end cap and shaft and inserted a roll pin to beef it up.

I like that idea, I'll look into it when I get home. I had thought of having a doubler made from SS to rivet to the endcap, but this would be easier.

Take care,
Greg

,_._,___