Skip to main content
Topic: Back to Indiana in April for the whine - and some t... (Read 590 times) previous topic - next topic

Back to Indiana in April for the whine - and some t...

Yahoo Message Number: 1955

Don,

As far as roundness of tires go, I have had that experience on my coach, and it isn't a whine, but rather a vibration that is felt, NOT heard, when a tire is out of round. Les Schwab has a tire balancing procedure that checks the out of round tire, but not under a load. I have also had drive train vibration issues in the past, but again, a vibration, not a whine was detected.

Here is a thought.... if you can find a cheap microphone, like at Radio Shack, then get an extension cable to extend it back to the rear axle, you may be able to isolate the whine. You would need a recorder that will allow you to hear what is being recorded live, like a camcorder. Attach a magnet or duct tape the mic to the chassis in several locations until you find the source.

Denny

Re: Back to Indiana in April for the whine - and some t...

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 1956

Don

This statement leads me to think it could be exhaust noise or an exhaust leak in the tailpipe. Or a bad gasket. Or it could be bearing noise under torque. Wheel bearings, carrier bearings for the driveline. I remember when wheel bearings would start to get dry in my old '53 Plymouth, they would whine a bit.....
Good luck.

Denny

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 1957
Denny, we thought it might be the exhaust but they gave that a good going over when they put on the new tailpipe hanger and also a new exhaust hanger.

I'm still wondering if it is the rear end gears not meshing properly - and when the speed gets up high enough it ceases?

Ironically, I tried to record the sound but from inside there is just too much noise. I recently purchased a great little Sony digitial recorder that has a huge capacity and keeps everything nicely numbered and date stamped. I'll have to think about locating it near the differential on our trip to Jayco and then pull into a rest stop and remove it after an hour or so.

The whine makes it really impossible to enjoy the XM, radio, iPod, CDs etc.

Don

On 15-Nov-08, at 9:33 AM,

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 1958

Don after driving for several hours did you notice a clang type racket when you made a sharp turn, like turning into a fuel station?
We had a 2000 Jimmy that would start to whine after an hour or so on the road then after three hours driving when we would turn off the hiway it made a strange clanging sound. Turned out it was a lack of lubrication in the rear end clutch packs.
Solution was replace rear end gear oil with synthetic gear oil and that seemed to solve the problem. Just a thought for what its worth
By the way how is the weather down there?
brad

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 1959
No clanks, vibrations, bangs or anything other than the whine.

Weather has been great but it will cool off big time this weekend - down to mid 60s and work its way back to about 75 by next weekend.

Don

On 15-Nov-08, at 3:47 PM, Brad McKenna wrote: