Skip to main content
Topic: newb+Gulfstream conquest 6319dk VS the Fourwinds Ko... (Read 491 times) previous topic - next topic

newb+Gulfstream conquest 6319dk VS the Fourwinds Ko...

Yahoo Message Number: 1566

Morrigon,

Kllasvegas is right... while the Super C's "look" aggressive and rugged, they are still a motorhome, and not really built for rugged use. Once you start having issues, they never go away, and are often aggravated by conditions of use. I have spent time in the same environment you describe (without the RV), and if I took my Dutchmen Super C into conditions like that, it would fall apart. One obvious problem would be overhead clearance in the woods... once the roof membrane is cut by a branch, it will be an expensive fix. I "thought" the short wheelbase (213.5") on my coach would get me over humps on the dirt roads, but I quickly realized that just the opposite would be true... the rear end will hang up on anything and everything, and the short wheelbase unloads the front axle, distributes ALL the weight to the rear axle, and basically screws up the handling of the coach...

What is a "good" answer for what you want to do? A comfortable slide-in pickup camper with a couple tents for the kids...and a .44 mag for the bears.

Denny

Re: newb+Gulfstream conquest 6319dk VS the Fourwinds Ko...

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 1570

Morrigan,

If you have monitored these forums very long, you know that individual owners have differing opinions of the same model/year coach. This is true because these coaches are not built like other vehicles. Each coach is built differently. They may have different parts, the skill level of the assembler will be different, and so on.

What you want to evaluate is how well the coach builder stands behind their product when something goes wrong, and the quality of the warranty repairs. If the coach comes back to you in worse condition than when they received it for warranty work, there is a problem. More importantly, when inspecting the coach you want to buy, start from the ground up... literally. check the undercarriage for weld quality, since all chassis have extended frames. Look at the undercarriage wiring... look for openings into the living compartment from beneath the coach... how well are the wires protected from the metal pass-thru... other openings will allow dust to enter the interior of the coach. most important, look for rust... the chassis's are stored in grass and dirt fields... or worse, sometimes for months at a time; corrosion will literally destroy the undercarriage, wiring, etc.

Then inspect the exterior closely. Is the rear ladder securely attached to the coach body, or does it sag when you stand on it. Do the cargo doors open/close easily and have shocks or latches to keep them open? NOTHING is more frustrating than having to hold open a door while loading stuff or taking stuff out. Do the handles and locks all work smoothly? Are the storage compartment door seals a quality rubber "automotive-style" or simply a strip of open cell foam...

Check the roof for seal leaks and damage... or soft spots. check where the speakers are mounted inside the coach, then stand in the same area on the roof. Does the roof feel soft? Then there is only a thin piece of lauan between the roof and the speaker, no insulation. Are there areas where water can accumulate on the roof because of how the sealant/caulking was applied? Dried dark areas where moistue was ponding will give away those area, which will degrade quickly and cause leaks.

Check the interior carefully for problem areas. There is a multitude of things to look for when buying a coach, and I have already said too much here... use common sense, and you will do ok...

Four Winds just left... Rick Drinkwine, Consumer Affairs manager, and Tony Chupp, Director of consumer Services. No discussion, just inspected my coach and left. They were very friendly, just didn't say much, except that they will be in touch.

Denny