Skip to main content
Topic: L-R Slideout (Read 595 times) previous topic - next topic

L-R Slideout

Yahoo Message Number: 13909
'06 6340 on Kodiak. Just finishing up flooring repair/replace (vinyl plank in L-R/Kit/bath - carpet rest ), and am tidying up corners and crevices (where chipmunks got in last winter). Pulled the aluminum valence off - underneath L-R slide. What I tho't was just a felt "wiper" held down by the valence (at the top) had disintegrated in places, and the remains "seemed" to be glued to the steel bracket to which the nylon slide-wedge is attached. Due to the amateur-looking installation (my opinion) I got to wondering if this was factory-install, or a half-a**ed repair by the former owner/repair dude.

Curious what other folks have...??? Since there is some "rubbing" during first/last couple inches of slide movement, I'm thinking it'd be better to "rub" on the smooth steel (radiused angle) and calculate a different technique for wipe/seal in this area (something that wouldn't get caught between the steel and teflon fabric on the bottom of the slide). Any ideas would be appreciated!

Heading back out to clean the adhesive from the steel, clean the nylon wedge, apply some spray undercoat in several places, place some self-tap screws in holes the factory missed, figure out some anti-chipmunk tactics. Just a few more tasks to do before I declare it "ready" for the next big summer trip - doing Sturgis Rally (75th year), and then about six weeks of work at Ft Bliss/WSMR (nice FAMCAMP at Bliss).

Will post some pics of the major floor/refer/pantry re-work.

Thanks in-advance! JT

Re: L-R Slideout

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 13910
Your description of the slide wipers and seals sound like the same construction as my 6340. Mine has stayed in good working condition over the years. There are some places where parts can be picked up. I will do a shearch later for parts to help with your repairs.
Best
Ron Hall

Re: L-R Slideout

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 13911
Thanks, Ron! Just now getting sheet aluminum hammered out flat and ready to put back in. Was thinking of using about a 4" strip of low-nap commercial carpet wrapped back over the radiused angle (it's all smooth in there now that I got the goop cleaned off of it), and fastened under the sheet aluminum (with a few more screws). Looked like someone had used some non-flow lap-sealant to try to keep it in place - really gummy.

Brake-Cleaner works on most things, but this stuff needed carb-cleaner (with MEK) to get it off. Didn't hurt the powder-coat paint on the steel tho'.

Slide-out rides on nylon bar except for last couple inches - otherwise there's "finger-space" between the steel and the bottom of the slide while -in transit.