Skip to main content
Topic: Leak on Generator - investigation (Read 427 times) previous topic - next topic

Leak on Generator - investigation

Yahoo Message Number: 5016
Hi all,

I have posted pictures (BigBrown Agilityaussie album) of my investigation on the generator, some pics are good some are not, sorry about that.
There were some small leak of coolant fluid on the bottom, you can see some white solids acumulation underneath, and then when I opened the cover I saw some on some other spots.
The leak (more like a sweat) was right there where the hose meets the recovery tank. However, I learned this tank is one piece (much like a milk jug) and the oil fill tube (black portion you see on the pics) is inserted. The leak was right there, there is not fitting or nut or anything I could find to either tight or loose, I could not see any crack from outside. I suspect when the parts are put together something happened. I tried to separate them but I could not, and I did not wanted to make worse.
It looks like an easy fix to replace the tank, I looked up and the tank costs about 180.00, not sure if comes assembled or that is extra.
I also do not know if it is under warranty, the MH is a 2008 but I bought in 2009, when I called Onan/Cummins the guy could not tell me if it was or not under warranty.
Anyhow, I keep an eye on it, since it does not leak much, and when I need to have serviced oil/filter then I will also have that replaced.
Note, after I put all back together I run the generator for while and did not see anything leaking, wonder if jimgling a bit put things in place.
At least we have a set of pictures now if anyone wants to check.
thank you all
Mo

Re: Leak on Generator - investigation

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 5017
I think that was th same failire as mine

Sent: 06 August, 2010 8:09 AM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Leak on Generator - investigation

Hi all,

I have posted pictures (BigBrown Agilityaussie album) of my investigation on the generator, some pics are good some are not, sorry about that.
There were some small leak of coolant fluid on the bottom, you can see some white solids acumulation underneath, and then when I opened the cover I saw some on some other spots.
The leak (more like a sweat) was right there where the hose meets the recovery tank. However, I learned this tank is one piece (much like a milk jug) and the oil fill tube (black portion you see on the pics) is inserted. The leak was right there, there is not fitting or nut or anything I could find to either tight or loose, I could not see any crack from outside. I suspect when the parts are put together something happened. I tried to separate them but I could not, and I did not wanted to make worse.
It looks like an easy fix to replace the tank, I looked up and the tank costs about 180.00, not sure if comes assembled or that is extra.
I also do not know if it is under warranty, the MH is a 2008 but I bought in 2009, when I called Onan/Cummins the guy could not tell me if it was or not under warranty.
Anyhow, I keep an eye on it, since it does not leak much, and when I need to have serviced oil/filter then I will also have that replaced.
Note, after I put all back together I run the generator for while and did not see anything leaking, wonder if jimgling a bit put things in place.
At least we have a set of pictures now if anyone wants to check.
thank you all
Mo

[The entire original message is not included]