Skip to main content
Topic: Inverter (Read 601 times) previous topic - next topic

Inverter

Yahoo Message Number: 4801
My xantrex xs400 inverter apparently died for no reason that I can think of. Just won't power the audio visual stuff. I checked the GFI on the unit and it is not tripped. 12vdc is good. Connections are all tight. Fault light comes on after the green in a few seconds. Anybody had this problem?
Denny

2006 Seneca 35GS Dmax. Ford Ranger toad.

Re: Inverter

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 4802
Just went to the MH and rechecked my problem. The unit turns on with the remote switch but does not show a green light. After a few minutes the fan comes on and then will increase in speed still with no output of AC. It show no fault light. As I said the batt voltage is good at 12.40 when the unit is on. Is there an internal curcuit breaker that may need to be reset?
Denny

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Mon, July 12, 2010 9:24:14 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Inverter

My xantrex xs400 inverter apparently died for no reason that I can think of. Just won't power the audio visual stuff. I checked the GFI on the unit and it is not tripped. 12vdc is good. Connections are all tight. Fault light comes on after the green in a few seconds. Anybody had this problem?
Denny

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 4806
OK. If the inverter is not working there are a few suggested checks.
Assuming that you turned the unit from standby to On?
Assuming you checked that the inverter circuit breaker is ON?
Remove all appliances from all inverter connected outlets (in case of overload)
Then
#1) Plug into AC power and see if pass through works. If AC is not available try your generator. Check the AC light is on (front panel) use a test load like a simple night light or shop light
Then remove shore power or generator power.
#1a) - Remove the remote and try operating from the front panel (just disconnect the rj11 jack) - it may be as simple as the cable is loose or faulty.
#2) Check Battery Voltage because the inverter will automatically not produce AC if the battery is very low, also the fault light will come on if it senses overvoltage or output overload. The fault light will also come on if there is a temperature fault.
#3) Next check for voltage on the DC side of the inverter. There is an inline fuse close to the battery. Sounds like you checked this and the fault light would also indicate this. Also there is a low battery light on the XS.
#4) Next there is a tricky little circuit protector on the front of the unit that is basically a circuit breaker that may need to be reset. It will say something like "press 7.5 Reset" or similar.
#5) check the AC sockets on the front of the unit. There is extra logic in the entertainment center (an engine disconnect) that might be the issue.
The XS 400 has two sockets on the front of the unit with extra GFCI protection circuit? Sounds like you have that since you mentioned GFCI. http://www.xantrex.com/web/id/8/p/docs/pt/5/product.asp is owners manual and data sheet.
The last failure I had was due to a surge that took out my surge guard. This was an RS400 - I replaced it with the XS 400.
The XS400 has a long diagnostic phase after DC is applied and the switch is moved from standby to ON. I have seen this fail, and then function correctly by just switching it standby and then back on again. See page 3-9 in the manual for reset actions under varied fault conditions. Again, I have always been able to clear this just by cycling through standby to On. I have had no other issues with the unit.
Troubleshooting is section 4 in the document.
Good luck.
Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ / WQJE447]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

center
From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Dennis Bradford
Sent: Monday, July 12, 2010 8:55 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Inverter

Just went to the MH and rechecked my problem. The unit turns on with the remote switch but does not show a green light. After a few minutes the fan comes on and then will increase in speed still with no output of AC. It show no fault light. As I said the batt voltage is good at 12.40 when the unit is on. Is there an internal curcuit breaker that may need to be reset?

Denny

center
To: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClass C] Inverter

Denny

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 4807
Hey thanks (Real). I assumed that I had an XS. It turns out that it is in actuallity an RS. It does have a GFI on the front. You mentioned a "surge guard" within the unit. Is it replaceable? I'm not to kneen on shelling out for a new unit as I'm well out of warrenty. Can't help but think this is something simple as it was working fine and then not.
Denny

Sent: Mon, July 12, 2010 11:48:11 PM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClassC] Inverter

Then
#1) Plug into AC power and see if pass through works. If AC is not available try your generator. Check the AC light is on (front panel) use a test load like a simple night light or shop light
#1a) - Remove the remote and try operating from the front panel (just disconnect the rj11 jack) - it may be as simple as the cable is loose or faulty.
#2) Check Battery Voltage because the inverter will automatically not produce AC if the battery is very low, also the fault light will come on if it senses overvoltage or output overload. The fault light will also come on if there is a temperature fault.
#3) Next check for voltage on the DC side of the inverter. There is an inline fuse close to the battery. Sounds like you checked this and the fault light would also indicate this. Also there is a low battery light on the XS.
#4) Next there is a tricky little circuit protector on the front of the unit that is basically a circuit breaker that may need to be reset. It will say something like "press 7.5 Reset" or similar.
#5) check the AC sockets on the front of the unit. There is extra logic in the entertainment center (an engine disconnect) that might be the issue.
The XS 400 has two sockets on the front of the unit with extra GFCI protection circuit? Sounds like you have that since you mentioned GFCI. http://www.xantrex. com/web/id/ 8/p/docs/ pt/5/product. asp is owners manual and data sheet.
The last failure I had was due to a surge that took out my surge guard. This was an RS400 - I replaced it with the XS 400.
The XS400 has a long diagnostic phase after DC is applied and the switch is moved from standby to ON. I have seen this fail, and then function correctly by just switching it standby and then back on again. See page 3-9 in the manual for reset actions under varied fault conditions. Again, I have always been able to clear this just by cycling through standby to On. I have had no other issues with the unit.
Good luck.
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

From: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com [mailto: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com ] On Behalf Of Dennis Bradford
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClass C] Inverter

Denny

Denny

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 4816
The three internal 30A fuses were good. Anymore thoughts out there?
Denny

Sent: Tue, July 13, 2010 7:14:45 AM

Some have internal automotive fuses.

Dan

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 4821
Nope the surge guard was external to the RV, but when it got fried I lost two other components, the inverter and the sound system amplifier. All other gear seems to have made it. I posted the process I went through to replace it, or send me a ping and I will send you a PDF. I will send you the RS spec on a separate direct email. It is slightly different than the URL I sent you.
Kevin.

center
From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of Dennis Bradford
Sent: Tuesday, July 13, 2010 6:01 AM

Hey thanks (Real). I assumed that I had an XS. It turns out that it is in actuallity an RS. It does have a GFI on the front. You mentioned a "surge guard" within the unit. Is it replaceable? I'm not to kneen on shelling out for a new unit as I'm well out of warrenty. Can't help but think this is something simple as it was working fine and then not.

Denny

center
Sent: Mon, July 12, 2010 11:48:11 PM
Subject: RE: [KodiakChassisClass C] Inverter

Then
The XS 400 has two sockets on the front of the unit with extra GFCI protection circuit? Sounds like you have that since you mentioned GFCI. http://www.xantrex. com/web/id/ 8/p/docs/ pt/5/product. asp is owners manual and data sheet.
Good luck.

center
From: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com [mailto: KodiakChassisClassC @yahoogroups. com ] On Behalf Of Dennis Bradford
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClass C] Inverter

Denny

center

Denny