Skip to main content
Topic: California registration year of coach vs chassis (Read 674 times) previous topic - next topic

California registration year of coach vs chassis

Yahoo Message Number: 11764
I know that this has been discussed here before but I was wondering if anyone has argued with DMV on their model year. I have an 05 Endura on an 04 chassis and its got the registration as an 04 chev. I want it to show the rv as an 05 Gs Endura. Is it possible to get this changed at the DMV? Any info appreciated.

Thx

Dave

Re: California registration year of coach vs chassis

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 11765
The chassis is the truck being registered. If the box on the back was not built and sold in the same year, they don't care.

Dan

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 11766

Its what is called a two stage vehicle. You need to verify with the coach sticker in the door what year vs. The chassis. My 2008 moho is on a 2007 chassis and registered as a 2008 Dutchmen.

~
Victor
KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 11767
There is an additional second stage manufacturer label listing it as a 2008. The value of your coach could be significantly different too when you go to sell it - especially if your new buyer will finance it.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

To: "KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com"
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 4:12 AM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] California registration year of coach vs chassis

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 11768

I have had this issue, with a 06 chassis and 07 motor home when registering the motor home in California.
The DMV clerk tried to register it as an 06. I suggested this want correct nor how it had been registered previously, all be it in another state.

The check went off in search of a supervisor, who came back and said motor homes are registered in the year of completion of the motor home not the year of the chasis and it got registered as a 07.

Joe

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 11769
That is the way it works with any "two-stage" vehicle

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com; KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, August 28, 2013 10:42 AM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: California registration year of coach vs chassis

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 11770
ABSOLUTELY NOT THE CASE IN CALIFORNIA!!!!!

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

To: "KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com"
Sent: Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:35 PM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: California registration year of coach vs chassis

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 11771
Update on the registration saga. I spoke with tony... director of consumer affairs at GS. He was really helpful and within minutes, I had a certificate stating the model year and the rvia regulations on why it should be registered as a 2005. Now I have the ammunition to take to the dmv to straighten this mess out. Thanks for all your comments. This is an RV wide issue and its really important to not get caught in the trap as I did.

Dave...