Skip to main content
Topic: Help wanted on tightening Awning Topper. (Read 400 times) previous topic - next topic

Help wanted on tightening Awning Topper.

Yahoo Message Number: 9906
The Awning Topper over our largest slide has a large sag so when the wind blows it flaps quite a lot. Has anyone tightened theirs? Nothing in the paperwork I have with the MoHo says anything about the slide topper. I went to the Carefree Awning site and downloaded the manual but it didn't talk about just tightening the fabric, only replacing the fabric. They did talk.about pulling a pin and making sure to keep hands away because the spring would tighten the fabric. Is this something we can do while parked at a camp spot or should we wait until we get home in a month to tackle the problem? Thanks for any suggestions.
Gail
2009 Jayco Seneca HD 35G

Re: Help wanted on tightening Awning Topper.

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 9907
Not a hard job. Put slide out about 12". While on a ladder look at end of roller. You will see a slot that will align with a hole in main shaft. Have someone jog slide out until you see alignment with slot and shaft hole. Put a pin in hole. I use a 1/8" welding rod. Remove roller assembly from each end of slide. Jog slide in about 6". Roll fabric up on roller. Mount roller assembly back on side. Remove pin from roller by turning by hand to relieve tension. This should help with the flapping. Making tenstion to high can break the spring. This project should be done with 2 people on ladders.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 9908

Follow Rons directions. 1 or 2 extra turns should be more than enough.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 9909
The suggestions given so far are good, but let me add that you need to look at both edges of the topper "canvas." If the edges are tight, yet you still get water ponding and flapping, then the material in the middle has probably stretched out and the topper "canvas" will need to be replaced.

George