Skip to main content
Topic: Lost my toad (Read 710 times) previous topic - next topic

Lost my toad

Yahoo Message Number: 12540

I was driving down the road last night taking the new toilet for a test drive and something was just not right....hmmmm. switch on the rear camera, sparks flying which were pretty dramatic on the infrared camera and no toad. Its there sort of but half out of view, but I could see it in my left side mirror....speed up turn in front of it and get it collected behind the coach so I could get it safely stopped.
Crazy stuff. Use your safety gear guys these things do happen and all was OK with just a beat up bumper, paint etc on the coach. It could have been really bad.
The failure mode was the KEY LOCKING HITCH PIN which has a really positive action and when installed you can only take the key out when it is latched.
I use the locking one to make sure I don't lose my tow bar or have some kids take the pin out to be funny.
Be Alert, the world needs more lerts.
Victor
KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen

Re: Lost my toad

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 12557
Did the locking pin break or wasn't it fully engaged? I use locking pins on the car side and the hitch side and they're showing signs of corrosion so I've considered replacing them. Did you have safety chains/cables on it?

Take care,
Greg

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 12561
I think the internal mechanism failed.  If it's not engaged the key would not come out of the lock.  If the lock were not on the pin it is really obvious on my set up.
Safety chains [cables] saved the day.
Victor Burns KI6IM Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen
Greg Gimlick ;
To:
KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com ;
Subject:
Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Lost my toad
Sent:
Thu, Feb 27, 2014 2:42:33 AM

Did the locking pin break or wasn't it fully engaged? I use locking pins on the car side and the hitch side and they're showing signs of corrosion so I've considered replacing them. Did you have safety chains/cables on it?Take care, Greg

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 12562
I think the internal mechanism failed.  If it's not engaged the key would not come out of the lock.  If the lock were not on the pin it is really obvious on my set up.
Greg Gimlick ;
To:
Subject:
Sent:

Did the locking pin break or wasn't it fully engaged? I use locking pins on the car side and the hitch side and they're showing signs of corrosion so I've considered replacing them. Did you have safety chains/cables on it?Take care, Greg

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 12563
Greg Gimlick ;
To:
Subject:
Sent:

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 12564
I guess I missed part of the answer in my last note.
The locking pin itself was intact, but because the lock failed it worked itself out.  I actually have the pin as it was still just barely hanging on the receiver.
Greg Gimlick ;
To:
Subject:
Sent: