Skip to main content
Topic: Fuel gauge issue.. (Read 766 times) previous topic - next topic

Fuel gauge issue..

Yahoo Message Number: 15360
Hope someone can help me with a fuel gauge issue..  Suddenly... When the fuel tank is full on my 2007 Duramax, c5500, Kodiak, the gauge is on 3/4 full. Also.. when the gauge reads empty and I fill it, it only takes 50 gallons. I'm assuming the sending unit is bad... Any other possibilities the problem could be?  Does anyone know the correct GM part number for the sending unit. I understand that there is no fuel pump in the tank but all of my internet searched show the fuel pump on the unit. Any help would be appreciated!  Thanks in advance...

Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE Droid

Re: Fuel gauge issue..

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 15361
Hi David.
U say this started suddenly. I'm thinking the float in fuel tank slipped an adjustment notch. The float has four heights u can use.

When I first bought mine I could only put 55 gals in it. I noticed on my tank it had a 81 gal sticker on it. I dropped my tank and raised my float level one notch. Also raise my copper vent inside of tank about 3 1/2 inches. Also dropped my gen pick up tube down about 6 inches. Now I can carry 79 gals.
The amount of fuel is controlled by the vent so a sudden change is weird. The gauge I could understand

Larry Payne ⛳

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 15362
I did install a lift pump and secondary filter on the frame just ahead of the tank before this problem started.. The manufacturer of he pump/filter recommended putting a slight amount of pressure in the tank at the filler to give some prime to the pump.. Any thoughts that might contribute to the problem?
Sent from AOL Mobile Mail

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 15363
It possible that's a hard one. The float adjustments are a plastic snap into place sort of thing , if that makes any sense. ! I sent u a picture of float, sending unit and fuel pickup it's all in one item.

Larry Payne  ⛳

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 15364
Thanks a bunch! Now all I have to do is to figure out how to get the damn tank out of there. Can't hardly see how I can get at the hose clamps on the filler/fill lines. Any tips on that?

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 15365
I had a shop remove tank , with the help of there huge lift. Then I brought tank home for repair and they reinstalled. I didn't even look at the filler and vent hose sorry.

Larry Payne  ⛳

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 15366
My 2005 Duramax C5500 Kodiak was having the same type problem with the fuel gauge.  Took it to a GMC dealer thinking it was the sending unit, he said no it was the instrument cluster.  They replaced it and all is good. 

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 15367
That sounds spendy! What was the price tag on that repair? Going to research the sending unit issue first..

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 15368
It could be the stepper motors in the instrument cluster. They control what you see on your gauges in the instrument cluster. I had all of mine repaired for under $150 including shipping. I located a repair person that specialized in repairing gauge clusters for the GM trucks on the web. Removal of your instrument cluster is not difficult. There is not a plug that you disconnect on the back of your cluster. It is pushed in to a female receptacle that is in your dash that the cluster has the male prongs will make the connection. You will have to remove the trim piece that faces you when your in the drivers seat to get the cluster out. If I recall correctly you will have to unplug a few switches like the headlights when you move the trim. Very easy to disconnect. My rig is a 2005 C5500 Seneca.

Brian H
Clovis CA

Sent from Xfinity Connect Mobile App