Skip to main content
Topic: Jayco Model 32 & 33's (Read 709 times) previous topic - next topic

Jayco Model 32 & 33's

Yahoo Message Number: 545

For those Jayco owners with the 32' and 33' models ...could you post your wheelbase and box length?...the box length would be from the back of the cab to the rear of the box ( I know, you ALREADY knew that). I am sending a letter to Thor Industries, and I wanted to include how much Jayco extended their wheelbase with their 32 ft and 33 footers. Thanks...

Denny

Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.

Re: Jayco Model 32 & 33's

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 546

Please disregard my previous post... I found a Greyhawk brochure I picked up AFTER buying the Dutchmen...it has all the wheelbase/length info I needed.

I don't understand why Jayco discontinued the Greyhawk Kodiak... did they discontinue the entire Greyhawk line, or just the Kodiak? From the brochure, it looks like a perfect coach. the floors are almost twice as thick as the Four Winds product, they have aluminum framing throughout. Can anyone tell me the thickness on the aluminum wall tubing? Looks like square tubing, maybe 1"x2"...just wondered if it is more than 1" wide.

Denny

Who's never won? Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 547

I just cut a "core" from my floor under the frig... I was mistaken about the floor thickness. Looks like about a 2" floor as well... 1" styrofoam sandwiched between OSB and plywood...

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 548
They just discontinued the Kodiak chassis Greyhawk units.

We also felt it was close to perfect dimensions at 32.5 ft and 225 inch wheelbase (.57+ ratio) although another foot on the WB would have been nice.

One excuse I've read is that they wanted to devote their entire Kodiak production capacity to the higher margin Seneca units. I too would love to know the real reason.

Don

On 4-Feb-08, at 11:49 AM,

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 549

Thanks, Don...

My guess is they couldn't compete with the Four Winds Kodiak product. By not extending the wheelbase, Four Winds had the competitive edge. That has to cost Jayco thousands of dollars on each coach, plus they lost the GM warranty.

By not extending the wheelbase, Four Winds could sell basically the same product for a wider margin or bigger discount. Of course, they had to conveniently "ignore" the safety issue, as well as the compliance issues with GM and NHTSA.

Denny

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 570

Don,

In my research I discovered that NHTSA required all final stage manufacturers to meet a "brakinginacurve" final ruling effective July, 2006...NTEA had filed a petition against the final ruling as it related to wheelbase issues, but NHTSA denied the petition. Iin part, the petition states..
NTEA also asserted that with regard to the brakinginacurve test, ``no certification passthrough is available for any vehicle with a wheelbase modification.'' NTEA stated that under the previous regulations, if a final stage manufacturer or alterer stayed within the chassis manufacturers' wheelbase range for a given model, it could be reasonably assured that the brake system was designed to perform within this range for stopping distance requirements....however, because of the new brakinginacurve test, NTEA argued that ``wheelbase changes will nullify both the hydraulic and air brake system conformity statements of the chassis manufacturer, and place the full burden of compliance with the [final stage manufacturer].''
You can read a summary of the ruling and the complete petiition at ... http://www.thefederalregister.com/d.p/2007-05-23-E7-9944

My guess is the Jayco didn't want the added expense to comply with this ruling.

Denny

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 576
But then why wouldn't they just have purchased the 224 inch WB chassis and avoided all the hassle?

D

On 5-Feb-08, at 10:16 AM,