Skip to main content
Topic: Awing over the slideouts (Read 463 times) previous topic - next topic

Awing over the slideouts

Yahoo Message Number: 6543
Has anyone adjusted the awing over the slideouts on their Seneca? We have a 2008 35GS. Does the awing have to come off or is there some adjustment that can be made without removing them?. We camped last week and one flapped in the wind. This was our first campout since we purchased first of Dec.
Will appreciate any advice anyone can offer. If I have to remove I will probably have someone do it since I am trying to recoup from some health problems.

Also am wondering if Dennis Bradford can let me know how his Steer Safe is
working. Is that the one that protects some if you have a front tire blow-out?
Thanks to all in advance.

Re: Awing over the slideouts

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 6546
Hi Joe,
We have a 2008 Jayco Seneca 36 MS. WE have had nothing but trouble with the biggest slide cover. We have had it many times to different dealers and currently it is at Jayco having a new slide cover installed by Jayco. I have watched several times as dealers worked on the cover and the last dealer installed as they called it an upgrade kit that was to raise the mountings on the motorhome. This was supposed to make the cover retract better and completely- It didn't work. My issue has been on my wall slide cover. The cover is huge! It only has one retract spring in it at the one end of the cover thus I feel it doesn't pull the cover back in equally on each end. I have know idea what your looking to adjust on your cover but if it's like mine there not a lot of adjustments to be made. I even called Carefree of Colorado who makes the covers( Should be called Careless of Colorado) and they were no help at all!!!
Larry

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 6547
I have adjusted the tension on my slide covers. One end cap must be removed to find the tension mechanism. You will need a 1/8 drill bit to slip into a hole when you turn the mechanism to apply and hold the tension. There is a pretty good explanation with the paperwork included in your coach folders. Carefree even explains it on there site.
As for the Steer-Safe, yes it is the one that is suppose to protect you in the event of a front tire failure. I don't ever want to test it. It does tighten the steering feel somewhat. It seems to track better as well. I haven't got that many miles experience as yet so can't you much more.
Denny

2006 Seneca 35GS Dmax. Ford Ranger toad.

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 6551
Thanks Dennis for the info. Will try soon as the rain stops.

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sun, March 13, 2011 11:51:27 AM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] Awing over the slideouts

I have adjusted the tension on my slide covers. One end cap must be removed to find the tension mechanism. You will need a 1/8 drill bit to slip into a hole when you turn the mechanism to apply and hold the tension. There is a pretty good explanation with the paperwork included in your coach folders. Carefree even explains it on there site.
As for the Steer-Safe, yes it is the one that is suppose to protect you in the event of a front tire failure. I don't ever want to test it. It does tighten the steering feel somewhat. It seems to track better as well. I haven't got that many miles experience as yet so can't you much more.
Denny

2006 Seneca 35GS Dmax. Ford Ranger toad.

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 6552
Thanks for the info........

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sun, March 13, 2011 11:38:22 AM
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: Awing over the slideouts

Hi Joe,
We have a 2008 Jayco Seneca 36 MS. WE have had nothing but trouble with the biggest slide cover. We have had it many times to different dealers and currently it is at Jayco having a new slide cover installed by Jayco. I have watched several times as dealers worked on the cover and the last dealer installed as they called it an upgrade kit that was to raise the mountings on the motorhome. This was supposed to make the cover retract better and completely- It didn't work. My issue has been on my wall slide cover. The cover is huge! It only has one retract spring in it at the one end of the cover thus I feel it doesn't pull the cover back in equally on each end. I have know idea what your looking to adjust on your cover but if it's like mine there not a lot of adjustments to be made. I even called Carefree of Colorado who makes the covers( Should be called Careless of Colorado) and they were no help at all!!!
Larry

--- In , Joe Eveld  wrote:
Has anyone adjusted the awing over the slideouts on their Seneca? We have a 2008
35GS. Does the awing have to come off or is there some adjustment that can be
made without removing them?. We camped last week and one flapped in the wind.
This was our first campout since we purchased first of Dec.
Will appreciate any advice anyone can offer. If I have to remove I will probably
have someone do it since I am trying to recoup from some health problems.

Also am wondering if Dennis Bradford can let me know how his Steer Safe is
working. Is that the one that protects some if you have a front tire blow-out?
Thanks to all in
advance.