Skip to main content
Topic: 32SS Generator oil and filter change (Read 973 times) previous topic - next topic

32SS Generator oil and filter change

Yahoo Message Number: 2283
Sent earlier from wrong address - bounced.
I'm a bit late but oil was still very clean and only 20 hours on.

Filter was on so tight it was murder to get it off. I had purchased a
filter wrench from CW and when I finally got the old filter off it was
a heck of a chore to get the wrench off the filter.

They say the fresh oil goes in slowly. First quart was fine. Slowly
doesn't even start to describe the second quart.

Some days I wonder why I do this myself.

Anyone else have this kind of fun?

Don

I ran it a couple of times and I guess it filled the filter. Could
not get 2 quarts in - a few ounces short at least.

Re: 32SS Generator oil and filter change

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 2284

I haven't had this pleasure yet, but soon....real soon.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 2285
Yes, that sounds familiar. You have to pour it very slowly and you will not get 2 full quarts in without over filling.

Mike

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 2286
What type and size generator is it ?? Found with mine need to be an
acrobat and long arm'ed monkey !!!

Mike wrote:

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 2287
Onan 5500 gas.

How they constructed it I don't know but I had to dribble that last quart in and sure had a lot of overflow. It almost seemed like it had baffles to go through with a dual compartment sump. Whatever that all means. :)

Don

On 5-Mar-09, at 8:26 PM, Gary Myers wrote:

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 2288

I had the "pleasure" of changing the oil and filter from the Onan 5500 Quiet Diesel also.

This was a brand-new...never been removed. filter ...with factory gray paint on filter.

I could not get a wrench into the area to remove the filter, so I removed the whole front panel. After removing 22 screws, and the air filter housing, I still had to use a filter wrench. Even tho it was a straight shot to the filter.
It was very, very tightly screwed on. Would have been impossible to remove my hand from underneath.
Adding the oil was not much of a problem, other than the port is very close to the top of the compartment.

Total cost: $5 x2 for the oil 5W-40, and $19 for the filter. Knowing how to do it next time....priceless !!

Regards,

Joe Marinello

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 2289
Don wrote:

Some days I wonder why I do this myself.

Well it could be because it's soooooooo much cheaper than having the
dealer do it :-) I had mine in for some warranty stuff and decided to
just have them do the oil/filter change on the gen. Never thought to ask
how much so I was a bit shocked when the bill was $113

Anyone else have this kind of fun?

Not yet, but I think I will the next time.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 2290
Only problem was that I screwed around for 2.5 hours by the time I was done.

But, I agree with you. If I had to do it again tomorrow it would be done in less than an hour.

What I did forget to do today was run the gennie first to warm up the oil. The last time I changed one was a 5000 Onan in our first MH over 4 years ago and I did run it to warm it up. Always did that with our two tractors as well. Just plain forgot in a senior moment I guess.

BTW, I wasn't planning to do it today, I got underneath to look at the tail pipe hanger that was installed at Jayco in Oct and it was fine. I was going to do the chassis lube and then started to rethink that.

I'd really like some views on this. We had our first annual maintenance done last May 23 - exactly one year after delivery. Since then we have 2500 miles on the odo and the MH has been sitting here in FLA since Oct 31. Manual says chassis lube every 6,000 miles or 6 months. I look at the zerks and see they are still grease coated and think "why should they need it after 2500 miles and why can't it make it safely until May again when we will have 4000 miles on since the last service and it will get the 2nd annual maintenance? Surely this should be adequate? The specs are written for working trucks really slugging it out, not motorhomes."

Anyone have any comments on this? I'm thinking of calling GM and asking them this question. With respect to the drive train they likely don't care since the wheelbase was lengthened they won't cover it anyway. If things keep going the way they are with GM they might not be covering anything.

BTW I did enquire into an extended warranty on the Kodiak with GM - Not Available.

Don

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 2292
I've got the 5500 Onan diesel not alot of working room, just to get the
dipstick out !!!

Don Leslie wrote:

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 2294
Don,

Have done the Onan 5500 diesel in my Endura twice. Not a lot of trouble, took my time. Had the right filter in hand, changed air filter as well. Oil was slow going in. Dipstick is always a pain to get it in but you have to live with it.
Mike

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 2295
Mike , on the gas unit dipstick is no problem at all. It is directly accessible and is only about 4 inches long.

I had the filter, filter wrench, 2 qts of oil and an air filter all lined up. Then I noticed on the side of the gennie that the filter should be cleaned at 150 hours and replaced at 450. Having under 20 hours I decided to forget about changing the air filter at this time.

Next time I should not have the struggle with removing the filter and now that I know what they mean by "slow" I'll be prepared for it. My previous gas gennie didn't fill so slowly so I wonder what they did with their design. This one doesn't even appear to be as efficient as baffles in a septic tank. :)

BTW, I ran the generator for a 20 minutes and looked for leaks. A nice feature, I thought, was the rubber shield around the filter to keep dirt out. I think that will also hide any leaks at the filter for some time as well so now I have to make sure I check the dipstick often for the first while.

Don

On 6-Mar-09, at 10:00 AM, Mike & Karen Swann wrote:

Reply #11
Yahoo Message Number: 2355
My GenSet has a Kubota diesel. Dip-stick is about 18" of braided cable has a little plastic indicator on the end you have to hope the level is correct you would think with the turns puts accuracy out the window. Just have to be patient.

Mike

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 2356
Yep, that's the only way to do it, that the only way to do anything to the unit, pull the cover off.

Mike