Skip to main content
Topic: EGR vs SCR -- Poll (Read 760 times) previous topic - next topic

EGR vs SCR -- Poll

Yahoo Message Number: 5877
Just for fun. Two videos on SCR and EGR.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EdbgkYOL_-4&feature=player_embedded#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=saSQYDEdtlo&feature=player_embedded#!

After you have watched them, please go to polls http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/KodiakChassisClassC/polls and select the approach you believe is better than the alternative.

Don

Re: EGR vs SCR -- Poll

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 5878
Just saw a station tonight in Lake City that has a "DEF available" sign out front. Didn't see a price.

Dave Sparke

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 5879
What's "DEF"?

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sun, November 28, 2010 3:40:58 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] EGR vs SCR -- Poll

Just saw a station tonight in Lake City that has a "DEF available" sign out front. Didn't see a price.

Dave Sparke

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 5880
Russ, watch the two videos and you will become an expert. (and will know what DEF is). :)

Don

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 5881
Don: I'm in the process of brewing up a batch of ionized water and baking soda as I type this reply...russ

Sent: Sun, November 28, 2010 7:01:21 PM

Russ, watch the two videos and you will become an expert. (and will know what DEF is). :)

Don

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 5882
Attachments :

I'm by no means remotely close to an expert on the issue so it will be very interesting and informative to read the posts on the subject as they come in. What I do know (after our 3k break job on a Intl 4600 at work) is that parts are EXPENSIVE on these rigs. If the biggest difference on the EGR system is a bigger engine and cooling system, I'd have to lean in that direction as I don't see these items wearing out any earlier. What I do see is LOTS of new (and likely expensive) parts in the SCR version.
    Greg
    MN

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Russ Hill
    Sent: Sunday, November 28, 2010 9:38 PM

Don: I'm in the process of brewing up a batch of ionized water and baking soda as I type this reply...russ

center
    Sent: Sun, November 28, 2010 7:01:21 PM

Don

On 2010-11-28, at 9:58 PM, Russ Hill wrote:

What's "DEF"?

center
    To:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
    Sent: Sun, November 28, 2010 3:40:58 PM

Dave Sparke

Reply #6
    Yahoo Message Number: 5883
    Both of the videos seem to be put together by the same company that is trying to sell EGR technology. EGR steals power and plugs intakes. Duramax engines that have the EGR working need to be cleaned after 100,000 + miles. Not a cheap thing to get done. SCR is not new to diesel engine. Been used for years in Europe. Is one better than other. Only time will tell.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #7
    Yahoo Message Number: 5884
    When I have made comments about the Super Nova model International chassis MH not having an exhaust brake. The cost to replace brakes was one of my concerns. I hear the same cost complaints from GM MD truck owners. If you have a exhaust brake. Use it and save your brakes.
    Best
    Ron Hall

Reply #8
    Yahoo Message Number: 5885
    Agreed in spades. When we shifted from our DP to the Kodiak gasser one of the features I missed the most was the exhaust brake. I'm of the view that one can easily get 100,000 miles on the service brakes if an exhaust brake is used in an optimum manner. With both our Journey and Ambassador I'd usually never even touch the brakes until I was down to 15 mph. The EB was on at all times and I loved it.

D