Skip to main content
Topic: GVWR / GCWR Kodiak Chassis Comments (Read 505 times) previous topic - next topic

GVWR / GCWR Kodiak Chassis Comments

Yahoo Message Number: 9348
So I did see a Kodiak chassis motorhome with a 33,000# GCWR rating. Someone else had pointed they had seen a 30,000# capacity version too - way larger than our 26,000 GCWR ratings.

The one I looked at today was on a big ass 7500 Chassis!! Had a Caterpillar motor and and Eaton(?) transmission. Way different than the stuff any of us have.

So yes, now I believe they come in larger capacities. Albeit on substantially different chassis / models with substantially different suspensions, brakes (air), motors and transmission etc.

I will not be buying one as support for these will be going away. Its Freightliner, Peterbuilt etc. for me next round.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

Re: GVWR / GCWR Kodiak Chassis Comments

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 9350
The 30,000 lb GCWR was produced by Thor for a short period. No MH manufacturer, to m knowledge, bought the 7500 series, nor was it offered by GM as a motorhome chassis. My guess would be a custom job. Good choice too with the Cat C7 (no longer available of course) and it would also have had airbrakes.

Don

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 9352
Hi I am a newbie. How could I find one of these 30,0000 GVW? Was it
only Thor that made them, any year ?
Thanks Mike Ounjain

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 9354
It would be a Topkick - or at least the one I saw was a Topkick.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 1:25 PM
Subject: Re: [KodiakChassisClassC] GVWR / GCWR Kodiak Chassis Comments

The 30,000 lb GCWR was produced by Thor for a short period. No MH manufacturer, to m knowledge, bought the 7500 series, nor was it offered by GM as a motorhome chassis. My guess would be a custom job. Good choice too with the Cat C7 (no longer available of course) and it would also have had airbrakes.

Don

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 9357
Same as Kodiak, model for model - one for the GMC dealers (Topkick) and the other at Chev dealers (Kodiak). BUT, the Kodiak was not sold in Canada.

I had a look over all of the Kodiak cut aways at McCormack in Nappanee IN (they provide the cut aways to most MH manufacturers).

The 6500 and 7500's were sure big and beefy compared with the 5500. IMO they would have been really good for motorhomes and provided the manufacturers didn't rush to overload them would have a great factor of safety when loaded and on the road.

Don

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 9358
Good comment on the larger truck as a base: it would be a hell of a coach. Love to have a full 10,000 tow capacity on that HD chassis.

I am afraid they looked at the market and the cost would have been too high.

Even most large class A coaches only have a 3-6,000 # tow capacity. Just enough to tow a regular car - that is what the sweet spot in the market is for cost etc. This past weekend I went looking again at Class A coaches to understand GVWR / GCWR etc. etc. Nada Nada Nada....I do however like the new small Monaco rigs that have that sleek molded body. Chassis is better than most for tow capacity....really nice rigs. MSRP in the $240K range - selling price in $150K range. Again really nice rigs. Front engine diesel set-up.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2012 8:16 PM

Same as Kodiak, model for model - one for the GMC dealers (Topkick) and the other at Chev dealers (Kodiak). BUT, the Kodiak was not sold in Canada.

I had a look over all of the Kodiak cut aways at McCormack in Nappanee IN (they provide the cut aways to most MH manufacturers).

The 6500 and 7500's were sure big and beefy compared with the 5500. IMO they would have been really good for motorhomes and provided the manufacturers didn't rush to overload them would have a great factor of safety when loaded and on the road.

Don

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 9359
Vic, both of the DP's we had (04 Winnie Journey 39W with Cat C7 and 06 HR Ambassador 40 DLP with Cummins ISC had a full 10,000 towing capacity.

I agree that the two Monaco units look pretty good. Namely the Holiday Rambler Trip
http://www.holidayrambler.com/holidayrambler/products/trip

and the Monaco Vesta

http://www.monacocoach.com/monaco/products/vesta

Only weakness is the MaxxForce 7 - I think they should have put in the MaxxForce 9.

Keep in mind Monaco is now owned by Navistar and it looks to be digging itself into a big hole.

The dealer that we bought our two DPs from had a Trip in inventory for ages before it sold. They didn't replace it either. I felt the unit was very nice but the shorter of the two models had a wheelbase to length ratio that was not good. The longer one (which we [oh, I not we - DW would have frowned] were interested in) was much better but two long for my needs.

GCWR - GVWR is only 4,000 lbs but that would have been fine for out toad. The price reduction they applied in order to sell the unit at our dealer was pretty attractive. I have a feeling they have not been selling well.

Don

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 9360
Interesting....One of the few I found was an older Expedition and it did indeed have 12,000 between GVWR and GCWR.

All the others (except for say the $475K American Coach etc.) were 4-6K and even the sales guy could not even find any others at McMahons RV that met my tow requirements. 10K would be maybe "ok"

I am

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

Sent: Wednesday, June 27, 2012 4:28 AM

Vic, both of the DP's we had (04 Winnie Journey 39W with Cat C7 and 06 HR Ambassador 40 DLP with Cummins ISC had a full 10,000 towing capacity.

I agree that the two Monaco units look pretty good. Namely the Holiday Rambler Trip
http://www.holidayrambler.com/holidayrambler/products/trip

and the Monaco Vesta

http://www.monacocoach.com/monaco/products/vesta

Only weakness is the MaxxForce 7 - I think they should have put in the MaxxForce 9.

Keep in mind Monaco is now owned by Navistar and it looks to be digging itself into a big hole.

The dealer that we bought our two DPs from had a Trip in inventory for ages before it sold. They didn't replace it either. I felt the unit was very nice but the shorter of the two models had a wheelbase to length ratio that was not good. The longer one (which we [oh, I not we - DW would have frowned] were interested in) was much better but two long for my needs.

GCWR - GVWR is only 4,000 lbs but that would have been fine for out toad. The price reduction they applied in order to sell the unit at our dealer was pretty attractive. I have a feeling they have not been selling well.

Don

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 9425
, Victor Burns  wrote:
So I did see a Kodiak chassis motorhome with a 33,000# GCWR rating. Someone else had pointed they had seen a 30,000# capacity version too - way larger than our 26,000 GCWR ratings.

The one I looked at today was on a big ass 7500 Chassis!! Had a Caterpillar motor and and Eaton(?) transmission. Way different than the stuff any of us have.

So yes, now I believe they come in larger capacities. Albeit on substantially different chassis / models with substantially different suspensions, brakes (air), motors and transmission etc.

I will not be buying one as support for these will be going away. Its Freightliner, Peterbuilt etc. for me next round.

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

Any C5500 can have a 30K rating if it was ordered with the 2350 Allison transmission. The 26K rating on most of the C5500's are with the Allison 1000 transmission. One of the main differences is the parking paul. The parking paul is only rated for 26K in the 1000 series transmissions and thus the GCWR is limited to 26K.

Some of the manufactures have ordered the C5500's with the 2350 transmission and this allows them to have a 30K GCWR rating.

There are no other differences in the trucks except the transmissions. Brakes and frame are all the same only the transmission difference allows for the greater GCWR.