Skip to main content
Topic: Airbag Install - 1 or 2 fills (Read 486 times) previous topic - next topic

Airbag Install - 1 or 2 fills

Yahoo Message Number: 11936
Who installed airbags and did you install with individual air fills or via a "T" and single fill point?

I called the Firestone hotline as I am installing some air bags on my Tundra Truck to make sure which way is better for my application.

In short he said a single fill point would be fine for the truck unless I had a big and heavy/tall camper on it. Then we had a discussion on motorhomes - where he indicated individual air fills is the way to go: as turning or going over bumps cross fills the other side bag and makes the coach sway or roll too much (ANTI-anti-sway bar) Maybe this is some of the issues people have with installing airbags, helper springs, sway bars etc.?

In my case with the Dutchmen I do not need any of this as its on the 19500/26000 chassis.

What did you do?

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM
Kodiak Diesel Dutchmen 34H Bunkhouse

Re: Airbag Install - 1 or 2 fills

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 11937
I installed mine with individual fill points installed in the drivers side compartment in front of the axle. I also have a pancake air compressor in that compartment. I don't think the "T" method is recommended for any install for the reasons listed below.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Victor Burns
Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2013 12:56 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Airbag Install - 1 or 2 fills

Who installed airbags and did you install with individual air fills or via a "T" and single fill point?

I called the Firestone hotline as I am installing some air bags on my Tundra Truck to make sure which way is better for my application.

In short he said a single fill point would be fine for the truck unless I had a big and heavy/tall camper on it. Then we had a discussion on motorhomes - where he indicated individual air fills is the way to go: as turning or going over bumps cross fills the other side bag and makes the coach sway or roll too much (ANTI-anti-sway bar) Maybe this is some of the issues people have with installing airbags, helper springs, sway bars etc.?

In my case with the Dutchmen I do not need any of this as its on the 19500/26000 chassis.

What did you do?

Be well,

~
Victor - KI6IM

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 11938
Attachments :

Mine came with the airbags already installed. Individual fill points with an onboard compressor and the control mounted by the driver with a dual needle pressure gauge. I like to setup.
    Greg
    MN
    2005 Endura diesel

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Victor Burns
    Sent: Thursday, October 03, 2013 12:56 PM
    To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
    Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Airbag Install - 1 or 2 fills

What did you do?

Be well,

~
    Victor - KI6IM

Reply #3
    Yahoo Message Number: 11939
    I installed mine myself. Single fill with control and gauge under dash. I do not see any problems with this installation. No rocking that is excessive. With the size of tubing used in the installation it would have to move a lot of air to create rocking. Just cannot happen.
    Best
    Ron Hall