Skip to main content
Topic: Generator shuts off when I turn A/C on (Read 722 times) previous topic - next topic

Generator shuts off when I turn A/C on

Yahoo Message Number: 15082
I am getting ready to go to 12hrs of Sebring next week getting my Jayco MS 36 ready to go. This morning I started the quiet diesel 8000 warmed it up and turned the front A/C and everything shut down. I ran everything on Tuesday without any problems.
After it shuts off I get fault 3 code 38 over current(Field Current) indicates low power factor loads.
I have called a generator technician to come out.
Just wondering if any has run into this or may have any ideas.
Thanks in advance.

Re: Generator shuts off when I turn A/C on

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 15083
Attachments :

This is from the RV Forum:
    "Cause could be a defective voltage regulator, but before you replace it check the condition of the brushes and slip rings that couple the voltage regulator output to the spinning field coil. Look through the cooling slots at the rear of the generator - there are (2) bronze slip rings and they should be clean and shiny, and the brushes that make contact with them should also be in good shape. If they're not, that's the first thing to make right."

Sounds like low oil can cause the fault also.

If the genny has been sitting, my money is on dirty slip rings
    Greg
    MN

Reply #2
    Yahoo Message Number: 15084
    Attachments :

Were you disconnected from "Shore Power" when you cranked up the genreator?

Smooth Sailing, Ric Golding Carlyle, Illinois

On Thursday, March 10, 2016 5:07 PM, "'Greg' tehya.eva@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

Reply #4
      Yahoo Message Number: 15086
      Please excuse stupid questions. But have you totally disconnected, shut off invereter and run generator on its own, letting it warm up before putting a load on it. I'm trying to see if problem could be with the transfer to load. If you've tried all of this, I would say get the experts involved.

Smooth Sailing, Ric Golding Carlyle, Illinois

On Friday, March 11, 2016 10:02 AM, "vidaurreta.enrique@... [SuperCrvgroup]"  wrote:

Reply #5
      Yahoo Message Number: 15087
      In case you haven’t seen the list, here is the list of corrective actions for fault code 38 on the 5.5 diesel genny (I assume it is the same for the 8.0):

1) Reduce the number of air conditioners running at the same time (and other appliances that cause low power factor)

2) Have the air conditioners and other appliances checked for proper operation (A locked compressor rotor can cause a very low power factor)

3)Service the brushes and slip rings as necessary and test the generator field, stator and quadrature windings for opens and shorts. Replace a stator or rotor that has faulty windings.

There is a copy of the 5.5 diesel genny service manual in the file section

Greg

MN

Reply #6
      Yahoo Message Number: 15088
      Yes I have done all of that, have a generator tech coming out.
      Thanks for the suggestions.

Reply #7
      Yahoo Message Number: 15109
      After being at the generator shop for two weeks, it seem that it's the inverter. Waiting to hear if the extended warranty will cover ($2000 without labor).