Skip to main content
Topic: Vent tube info for Greyhawk 32SS (Read 541 times) previous topic - next topic

Vent tube info for Greyhawk 32SS

Yahoo Message Number: 5457
I am thinking about installing a "Lil Stanker" vent tube fan on the black tank of my 32SS Jayco. I have two vent tubes on top very near each other and I know one is the black tank and the other is the gray tank. If you are standing on top and looking to the rear, there is a vent pipe just forward of the fan cover (toilet fan) and one just to the rear of the cover. I have crawled all under the bottom on a creeper and I can not find anyway to tell which one goes to which tank. The exhaust fan is right above the toilet (naturally) looking at the black tank from underneath it "looks" like the vent just to the rear of the cover would be right over the black tank. I can not find or "see" the vent pipe anywhere from the inside.
If I install this fan I have to run the wiring and you can run it down the inside of the pipe and drill a small hole in the pipe (if you can locate it and get to it) hook it and run it, or you can run it down the side of the pipe and locate it and run it to DC power. I know I can get power at the exhaust fan on the roof if I have to.
Anyway, anybody got an idea which vent goes to the black tank and if so where it runs inside the MH? Hopefully it runs somewhere I can get to it without taking half of a wall out or something! :)

Link to "Lil Stanker" info. ( with pics) Thanks.

Mike

Re: Vent tube info for Greyhawk 32SS

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 5460
Mike . . . I would give the vents the "smell test" to determine. If unsure, turn on the black tank rinser and listen for the sound at the rood vent. I wonder if they make a solar powered version?

George

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 5462
George, thanks for the reply. Yeah, I thought about the "smell" test but I just flushed all 3 tanks real well (2 times) last week and put 4 gallons of water, mixed with a valve conditioner, in the gray and black tanks. I think I may pull my air hose out and get someone to blow it into the toilet and get on top and see if I can hear and feel the air coming out. I would love to know where it comes down an inside wall that I could get to fairly easily. Thanks again.

Mike

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 5463
OK!!! The air hose did the trick. The black tank vent (on mine) is the one to the rear of the exhaust fan cover. It was easy to hear and feel the air coming out of it while the air gun was blowing air into the toilet. I had it set on 30 lbs and it was plenty. Now, if I can just find where it comes down inside the unit!

Mike

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 5464
Glad you found it. One possibility is to see if there's enough room to drop the line beside the pipe, down below the floor. A suggestion: If you remove the vent cap and its base, there may be some room between the pipe and the hole drilled for it. A strong light near the black water tank below will be seen from the top if the vent pipe drops straight, and there's some room around the pipe at the bottom.

Geo

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 5465
YES! George, I took the pipe cover off the vent opening and there is a little room between the cover and the pipe. I could just go ahead and pull the base off and re-caulk everything when I put it back. I took a piece of cord and tied a heavy steel nut to it and dropped it slowly down the pipe. My wife was in the MH with a strong magnet in the area where it appeared the pipe would be located. We did find the pipe and it is in the wall between the bath room and the wall of the bedroom. I am going to look up top again and use a strong light and see if I can see anything below the floor. I would love to do it that way instead of having to cut a small hole in the bath room wall or pull the paneling out. Thanks for the ideas.

Mike

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 5466
Mike, The top of the tank is probably tight to the floor, so getting the wire that way will really be tricky.

Dave Sparke

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 5467
Good luck with the job. I like the magnet idea -- although your wife must think you're nuts!

Geo

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 5468
Dave, I think you are right about the tank being flush with the floor. It certainly looks like it from underneath and there is absolutely no sign of the vent pipe.

George, the Secretary of War, (wife) knows I am crazy so she doesn't even ask "why" anymore! Actually that is GOOD! :) :)

I haven't decided for sure how I am going to do this. I will let ya'll know how i end up doing it. The Lil Stanker comes with a little "hook" and you drill a 1/4 inch hole in the vent pipe, then reach in with the hook and pull the two wires out and then seal the hole and run your wires. However, the place I want to mount the switch is on the front wall where I already have DC at the light switch and fan switch. Oh well, never is easy!

Mike