Skip to main content
Topic: Refrigerator reinforcement bracket install (Read 445 times) previous topic - next topic

Refrigerator reinforcement bracket install

Yahoo Message Number: 4622
After getting the bracket from Greg - he happened to be staying in a park just up the road from my house. I was able to get out to the RV and install the bracket.

Installing the bracket turned out to be an easy job. The time to install the bracket is about five minutes... took longer to empty out the shelves on the door than it took to install the bracket.

First thing to do is remove the upper hinge pin, with the door in the closed position. I did this with a 7/16" box-end wrench -

IMGP0245.JPGIMGP0246.JPG

After removing the upper hinge pin, open the door and lean back to lift and remove from the lower hinge pin. - I had cleared of the dinette table and laid out a towel to protect the wood panel on the frig door.

The Retro-fit kit comes with two parts... the reinforcement bracket and a washer -

IMGP0250.JPG

The reinforcement bracket slips easily over the plastic frame at the bottom of the door -

IMGP0249.JPG

The washer that comes with the kit is slipped over the lower hinge pin to distribute the weight on the reinforcement bracket -

IMGP0251.JPG

Now you replace the door, reinstall the upper hinge pin, tighten with a 7/16" wrench, and your done.
center
Thanks to Greg for providing the Retro-Fit kit. And the wife and I will feel much more comfortable opening the door in the future.

Final note: Our door had been replaced three years ago, under warranty, because of a broken hinge. The hinge, now, is not broke, but shows signs of weakening - the area where the last hinge broke is turning white and would surely have broke in the future, had the retro-fit kit have not been installed. Now, only time will tell how well the reinforcement bracket performs.

Re: Refrigerator reinforcement bracket install

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 4625
I didn't get a good shot of where the new door on our frig was stressing, but you can make out a little of the color change on this picture -

IMGP0248-marked.jpg

If the Retro-fit kit keeps this door from breaking, it was well designed... (there was no actual crack.)

Re: Refrigerator reinforcement bracket install

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 4626
Bill
They say this is the key component in making this bracket do its job properly so when we get this box and I get them sent out, don't forget to install the washer before you reinstall your door.

Take care,
Greg