Skip to main content
Topic: Help! Need to get brake controller installed in the next 24 hours! (Read 767 times) previous topic - next topic

Help! Need to get brake controller installed in the next 24 hours!

Yahoo Message Number: 4244
I have a 2007 Seneca 34ss. I have the 7 pin connector and I have read about not being able to find the brake engagement wire. I can't find that sucker. It seems like the Prodigy only needs Power, Ground, Brake light, and the brake power line. I tested the connector and as expected the blue brake power line is full on 12 volts all the time. If I can find that wire, I can wire it myself. Otherwise, I'll take it somewhere. Any recommendations on taking it to the Chevy dealer vs. Jayco dealer?

Re: Help! Need to get brake controller installed in the next 24 hou

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 4245
Had mine done heard it was not that easy. Take to trailer supply place
Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone with SprintSpeed

Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2010 02:12:04 -0000
To:
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Help! Need to get brake controller installed in the next 24 hours!

I have a 2007 Seneca 34ss. I have the 7 pin connector and I have read about not being able to find the brake engagement wire. I can't find that sucker. It seems like the Prodigy only needs Power, Ground, Brake light, and the brake power line. I tested the connector and as expected the blue brake power line is full on 12 volts all the time. If I can find that wire, I can wire it myself. Otherwise, I'll take it somewhere. Any recommendations on taking it to the Chevy dealer vs. Jayco dealer?

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 4246
You saw the wiring diagram and "GM bulletin 66 Break wiring" in the files section of the group?  K

center
From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com ] On Behalf Of fredzust
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2010 9:12 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Help! Need to get brake controller installed in the next 24 hours!

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 4249
Thanks, that bulletin is very helpful. Why not wire to switch? I thought several people people have done that.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 4250
Wiring to the brake switch will cause it's failure. Brake controllers make the contacts go bad. This will set off the warning chimes that cannot be shut off until switch is repaired. GM provided a relay to run a brake controller.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 4251
Ron, That's even more helpful, thanks! I guess I will pull the Blue wire from the harness and the rest from the upfitter connection. Gotta decide between Chevy and local Jayco dealer now. I am leaning toward Jayco dealer.

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 4252
Fred,

whoever you pick to do the install be sure to pick their brain as a do-it-yourself approach would be helpfull.

maybe ask them to take pictures for you to keep in your personal files. lol

do

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 4253
I have no doubt I can do this myself, I just ran out of time! The upfitter's bulletin was the missing piece. It is at a dealer now. The service director took care of me himself(they look really slow over there) and is putting one of their top techs on it(I'm sure they say that to everyone.) I told him I would bring it back for some of the suspension tweaks I want to do if they don't screw it up.

If they can't get it done, I will cut the blue wire to the brake connector and run without trailer brakes this one time. My trailer is only 4500lbs, I am 2000lbs underweight on the motor home and I do have the exhaust brake. I won't be happy about it, but I am running out of time.