Skip to main content
Topic: This is just not funny any more! (Read 522 times) previous topic - next topic

This is just not funny any more!

Yahoo Message Number: 8147
We have another leak, which appears to be coming from under the kitchen sink. Saw a puddle under the slide, next to the passenger side wheel. DH has taken out all the panels under the sink and can feel the floor is wet, but the pipes all appear to be dry. The electric wiring that is under there is all lying in the water. Grrrrr! Pulling the slide in to check the connections behind there (again).

Re: This is just not funny any more!

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 8148
It's those fittings coming up through the floor. Those are the 4 I check regularly before I run the slide out. I think the hoses twist and cause the fittings to loosen.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dee
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:14 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] This is just not funny any more!

We have another leak, which appears to be coming from under the kitchen sink. Saw a puddle under the slide, next to the passenger side wheel. DH has taken out all the panels under the sink and can feel the floor is wet, but the pipes all appear to be dry. The electric wiring that is under there is all lying in the water. Grrrrr! Pulling the slide in to check the connections behind there (again).

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 8149
Wish I had taken pictures of the repairs we did on Danes sink. Maybe he remembers.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 8150
Make sure you check the drain if you have used the water. Mine has come loose a few times and that was where the water was from. Have had drip from the line also but has been drain more so.
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

Sender: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thu, 22 Dec 2011 21:13:44 -0000
To:
ReplyTo: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] This is just not funny any more!

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 8151
Yup that's it! All fixed......we think.....we hope. One of the four connections was loose. Thanks Dave for the reply. By the way, we noticed that the drain pipe runs uphill for a short way into the grey water tank. How idiotic!

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 8152
We had a leak there last year, and resealed the sink drain fitting. That is dry.

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 8153
What's even dumber is using 4 female fittings connected by the double male. Should be a male fitting at the floor and then the female hose fitting. The double females work against each other.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Dee
Sent: Thursday, December 22, 2011 4:40 PM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] Re: This is just not funny any more!

Yup that's it! All fixed......we think.....we hope. One of the four connections was loose. Thanks Dave for the reply. By the way, we noticed that the drain pipe runs uphill for a short way into the grey water tank. How idiotic!

Reply #7
Yahoo Message Number: 8154
Yes, DH says he becoming very flexible having to use both hands to tighten the double female connectors through a 4 inch hole!

Reply #8
Yahoo Message Number: 8160
I know this has been a bit of a nightmare for you guys, but I'm glad
it's getting closer to all being resolved..until the next thing anyway.

More than anything, this should prove as a good reminder to the rest of
us that these things are vibrating, plastic, hand-tightened, sometimes
poorly checked machines. Since I spent my adult life as a helicopter
pilot in the Army, I was beaten into submission with the idea that all
things that vibrate will come apart. My friends tell me I'm the world's
worst RV salesman because it seems I'm constantly talking about
tightening this or that or checking this or that. I don't don't know if
it's really that or I'm just scared something will go wrong and I can't
afford to have it fixed so I try to find it first.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #9
Yahoo Message Number: 8167
I'm with Greg. If it can be tightened. It can loosen. Worked on machines that saw 1 to 2 million cycles a year. Putting things in a way so that they do not come loose is a art. Starts at the design team. Then ends up at the person that has to maintain it. That's us RV owners.
So far I have not had any plumbing leaks. Every time I have a reason to get into a area where plumbing or other connection are. I give them a check.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #10
Yahoo Message Number: 8175
This is some of the best advice around. My other past time is sailing. While not as unforgiving as rotory-wing aircraft, an equipment failure while under sail can still be life threatening. I was instructed that a good sailor is always looking for what is going to go wrong next. Check, check, and check again. After a catastrophic failure it is too late to fix it.

While I am new to motorhomes, they seem to be fairly complicated machines too. There are lots of components that can malfunction. And there is the road vibration that helps those malfunctions along. My favorite complaint is the use of wood or sheet metal screws instead of machine screws with locking nuts. I know why screws are used. They are less labor intensive. But with vibration they always work themselves loose. I have taken to replacing every screw I work on with a stainless steel machine screw with washers and a nylon locking nut. It can be a real pain but once it is done you can almost forget about having any trouble. And when tightened, they often do away with annoying rattles. If you can't get a locking nut on it, Locktite is great too. For wood applications, their is a machine-threaded device that has "jaws" or "spikes" that go into the wood and bite so you can use a machine screw instead of a wood screw. I don't know what they are called. I have purchased them at Lowes. And, there are the wood screws that go into the interior wall board, or whatever is is called. They are short and are regularly falling out. Really short toggle bolts seem to be a great permanent fix. Does anyone know of a reason not to do this? Finally, the prior owner of my 34SS told me to watch the water heater. Apparently the connections on it will work themselves loose and leak too. I check them often every trip.

On the subject of oil, I have a car that supposedly has a computer that tells when the oil needs to be changed. The manual says with the new oil products, oil can easily last as long as 15,000 miles. So I made the mistake of believing the factory manual. After about 7,500 miles, a "high oil pressure" light came on. I have been around all kinds of engines all my life and have never seen a "high oil pressure" light. I immediately took the car to my mechanic who told me that he had been getting some of these very expensive engines in for overhaul after only 100,000 miles due to slug built up. These cars are expensive and normally will go 300,000 without a problem. So you can imagine my disappointment. The motor has been fine ever since and I expect to drive it until I die. Based upon my mechanic's recommendation, I change oil in all my vehicles at no more than 5,000 miles. Also, there is a great oil website. I think it called bobstheoilguy.com. He seems very knowledgable about all kinds of oil issues.

Thanks to all. As a noobie, I really appreciate the great information and advice on this site.

Happy Holidays!!!

Reply #12
Yahoo Message Number: 8179
shermanyoung34 wrote:

This is some of the best advice around. My other past time is sailing.
While not as unforgiving as rotory-wing aircraft, an equipment failure
while under sail can still be life threatening.

Absolutely!

I was instructed that a
good sailor is always looking for what is going to go wrong next.

I agree, it's like flying, if you do it long enough it's not of matter
of whether you'll crash or not, it's a matter of when. Being prepared to
avoid it is the best medicine. Preventative maintenance on RV's is
paramount to keeping it tilted more to the fun side.

I have taken to replacing every screw I work on with a stainless
steel machine screw with washers and a nylon locking nut.

This is the tact I take too. One of my friends gave me a very hard time
when I took every screw out of the rail around the top of the motorhome,
squirted Dicor into each hole and replaced the screw with a stainless
steel version. It was a long and tedious job, but considering my coach
was less than a year old at the time and yet I found some rust on those
screws, I know it was the right thing to do. There is also no more rust
coming out of the gutters.

BTW, for those who don't know, NEVER EVER use silicon on TPS roof
material, that's why I used Dicor in the holes to seal them. Silicon or
other petroleum products will eat it up.

Take care,
Greg

Reply #13
Yahoo Message Number: 8185
Thanks, Greg. As of now we are leak free! Very thankful for that.