Skip to main content
Topic: True GCWR? (Read 630 times) previous topic - next topic

True GCWR?

Yahoo Message Number: 13531
Hello all,

Just closed on our first RV on Saturday and we bought a 2004 Gulfstream 6340. We are really excited, so expect more questions from a total newbie.

On the wall in the cabinet above the kitchen sink, the GCWR is listed at 29,000-lbs via a Gulfstream sticker, but on the GM door sticker on the truck it is listed as 26,000-lbs. I'm assuming the GM sticker is correct but I wanted to make sure. Eventually, I will be towing a 28' racecar trailer that should tickle the 7500-lb range. Btw, it is a 8.1 gasser rig.

Thanks,
Greg

Re: True GCWR?

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 13532
The door sticker is probably GVWR, which is gross vehicle weight rating, and the GCWR is gross combined weight rating. GVWR is the vehicle max by itself, GCWR includes all weight vehicle and trailer.

The mfr keeps GVWR below 26000 lbs so no special license is required. Depending on your state you might get a non-commercial CDL endorsement for weight over 26000 on your license. Then never a problem if a law enforcement is worried about being over 26000 GCWR.

Now in your case, doubtful you will have the vehicle loaded to full 26000, and a 28 ft enclosed trailer is certainly going to be around your estimated 7500, so doing some math, 29000 - 7500 = 22500 for vehicle.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 13533
The 2004 Endura 6340 is rated at 26,000 lbs. If you are going to be pulling a 7,500 lbs trailer I would recommend you put 245 G rated tires on your motorhome. Getting your motorhome weighed will be a good thing. When I weighed mine. I was overweight by 500lbs on the rear axle. If you have water in the fresh water tank and your trailer on hitch you may be overweight by 1500 + lbs. This also takes weight off front axle. Causing bad handling.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #3
Yahoo Message Number: 13534
Thanks for the replys!

I plan on putting some Michelin's XZE 245's on it before I start doing any towing. With that being said, I need to replace one of the front 225's before we start doing any traveling. Do you see any problem putting new 245's on the front only? I need to replenish my cash supplies and I don't want to buy all 6 new 245's right away.

I will have to check into that >26000-lbs driver's license endorsement. Hopefully that is not too big of a pita to get done.

Thanks,
Greg

Reply #4
Yahoo Message Number: 13535
The 6340 came with a 19500 GVWR chassis. GCWR is 26,000. GCWR is loaded truck and trailer combined.
I ran with 225's on the front for a couple of years with the 245's on rear. Did not see any difference. I added Ride Rite Air Bags to the rear also.
Best
Ron Hall

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 13538
Welcome to the group. I have a 2005 6340 Gulfstream 6.6 diesel. Based upon the groups recommendations I put new tires shocks and Ride Rite Air bags on. Everything that the group advised was great advice.  The air bags and shocks changed both the handling and ride of the rig. I put the Koni shocks on and the Firestone bags. Lastly I put a Continental tire on. I stayed with the 225 but was able to go up a load range.

Happy travels
Doug Brothers