Skip to main content
Topic: House Batteries (Read 400 times) previous topic - next topic

House Batteries

Yahoo Message Number: 10072
All,

I did a search on this forum, but could not find the information, I am sure it is out there, my search may have been faulty.

What was the bottom line on house batteries?
I got a 36MS with 4 house batteries, I think one or two may be bad, or maybe all 4, I need to check, they are about 4-5 years old, is that about right timing?

The more I read the more confusing it is, I typically do not camp without power (very seldom), but I may need to replace them now and would like to make sure I will do it right.
Should I just replace with the same ones I have now(need to check not sure what is in there now) or any other suggestions?

thank you so much
Mo

Happy T-Day to all.

Re: House Batteries

Reply #1
Yahoo Message Number: 10073
I just bought 4 new 6 volt house batteries on my 2007 motorhome. I also replaced the cables due to having a lot of corrosion on the ends. I paid $437 for the 4 batteries and charged them while plugged into the house. My cables that time the four batteries together are 3 Ot which seem to be on the large size. All I can say is I am going to make sure my battery comparment is spotless and keep the routine battery maintennace up this time.

Reply #2
Yahoo Message Number: 10074
I plan on replacing mine with the deep cycle AGM 12v from Sam's, your converter/charger will adjust for them since it is the "smart charger". They are maintenance free so one less item to worry about.

From: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com [mailto:KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Mo
Sent: Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:34 AM
To: KodiakChassisClassC@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [KodiakChassisClassC] House Batteries

All,

I did a search on this forum, but could not find the information, I am sure it is out there, my search may have been faulty.

What was the bottom line on house batteries?
I got a 36MS with 4 house batteries, I think one or two may be bad, or maybe all 4, I need to check, they are about 4-5 years old, is that about right timing?

The more I read the more confusing it is, I typically do not camp without power (very seldom), but I may need to replace them now and would like to make sure I will do it right.
Should I just replace with the same ones I have now(need to check not sure what is in there now) or any other suggestions?

thank you so much
Mo

Happy T-Day to all.

Reply #5
Yahoo Message Number: 10077
Mo. So as not to burden the group - I have sent you three historical posts under a private email. They are:

Battery Replacement - The story of my emergency battery replacement in Spearfish Canyon (Wal*Mart) parking lot!
Battery Maintenance - How to maintain the coach batteries - safely.
Battery Connection - Some units are not wired properly to balance battery usage. This means that the batteries do not wear evenly. A better connection scheme was suggested to me by Craig, and that is covered in this document. I have seen some more recent coach models that are wired correctly.

I have seen some other replacements, and all seem to work well. AGM as Russ has done. And 6v Golf style (e.g. John). They all seem to work just fine. It is a mater of taste, how much maintenance you want to do, and intended usage.

Just remember that the battery does have to be a bit of a hybrid if you intend to use it as the source for starting energy for the generator.

What I mean by that is a battery can be optimized for 1) long use at low amps, (Sometimes called "deep cycle") 2) short use at high amps (like in your car - sometimes called "Starting"), or a hybrid , low use for long periods , but still capable of running a starter engine - say for starting a generator (sometimes called "Marine" or "Dual Use"). Case 3 is also good for any other short term burst application - say for example running a high power radio amplifier, while at the same time providing long periods of listening.

Hope I have not confused you.

Choices, Choices / Decisions, Decisions

Hope you all have a happy thanksgiving...

Kevin

Kevin (Real) McCoy [KF5FUZ]
("Roscoe Ventura" Jayco Seneca HD SS 34 Diesel 2006; "Toad" Jeep Wrangler Unlimited 2007)

Reply #6
Yahoo Message Number: 10079
My opinion -

Replace all interconnected batteries at the same time; least cost in the long run as a partial replacement will shorten the lives of all the batteries.

The life you got is reasonable.

Replace with the same group size and terminal style so they fit and connect without modification.

I pay the extra price for AGM's (type of construction) to avoid corrosion. They are truly sealed so there are no acid vapors roaming around in the battery compartment, although you can unseal them through abuse - too high charge rate or high discharge rate , like a short circuit.

Charles